Menu
Petey80
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Moving TiVo box

Hello all, We have decided to move our front room around and therefore the TiVo box has been moved from one corner to another. The original cable that came from the splitter isn't long enough. I've bought 3 different coaxial cables and none of them have worked. Maplin - http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-f-plug-to-f-plug-cable-10m-white-n53ht Screwfix - http://www.screwfix.com/p/satellite-lead-f-plug-to-f-plug-5m/39644?kpid=39644&cm_mmc=Google-_-Produc... Plus one from Boyes for £7.50 I've found this one on e-bay - http://r.ebay.com/znh8Nb - that looks similar to the current lead. To be honest, the others look only alumunium and haven't been as thick. Can anyone shed any light on which cable I can use or does it have to be Virgin only cable? I have spoke to them and they said they'd be sending me a longer cable, but we'll see how that turns out. The cable setup at the minute is; Comes in from outside into splitter. One lead to the router and the other lead to the TiVo box [the one I'm trying to extend]. Thanks!!
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving TiVo box

The longest pre-made leads they provide are 3 metres, owing to the effect on signal levels I have already described above. More than likely this is what your problem is.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The first thing to say is the coax cable is VM's property.

It also forms part of a shared network with all your neighbours. As a result, any changes you make to your part of the network can also affect them. Virgin use specially made triple screened cable. It is of a higher standard to satellite cable, as it has to resist ingress from terrestrial TV & DAB radio frequencies that VM "re-uses" on its own network.

There is also the issue of signal levels, which will be affected by any extension of more than 5 metres, & may require adjustment in the street cabinet.

There is a callout fee for VM to do the work of £99, therefore a much cheaper option is just to move the TV & use a long HDMI cable instead.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Petey80
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice. We can't keep the box where it is as a couch has now been placed there. It shouldn't be that hard to obtain a longer cable in order to move furniture around. VM can't expect people never to move things around. I have a feeling I must have bought naff cabling. Hopefully VM will send me some in the post. If not we'll have to call them out and discuss this £99 for a bit of cabling......
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The longest pre-made leads they provide are 3 metres, owing to the effect on signal levels I have already described above. More than likely this is what your problem is.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Petey80
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, I put the TiVo box back on it's original cable and got an extended HDMI cable instead. It still doesn't work so we have an engineer coming out on Sunday. Very strange. Once fixed I will post back with what the issue was. Thinking the box is gone....
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI Petey80

Sorry for the problems you've been experiencing lately, I'm just checking in to see how the appointment went?

If you need any assistance moving forward, you know where to find usMan Happy

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Petey80
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig, Thanks for the message. Totally forgot about replying to this thread. Anywho, turns out I broke the TiVo box when I removed the coaxial cable. The previous engineer had put the cable on so tight, that when I removed it, the connection for the cable broke off the board on the inside so was spinning freely. That's why the box always said there was no cable connected. Engineer came out, replaced the box, confirmed any coaxial cable would work with it but ended up giving me a longer wire and fed that under the carpet for me and also stapled the splitter and other wires to the skirting board. God job, well happy with him. All sorted now and back to normal. One thing I did notice was he attached an extra short cable to each coxial lead, and covered the connection with a plastic casing. Not sure why, didn't ask. Maybe to make it easier to move?
0 Kudos