Menu
darkstar22
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Movies lately being truncated to 1 hr. 7 minutes!

As said, and more so in the last few days, movies I've tried to record have been truncated to 1 hr. 7 minutes - obviously suspiciously regular time, and has happened with movies at various different times.  Any ideas?  Has been happening fairly randomly for a couple of weeks, but more recently.  Very frustrating!!!!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Movies lately being truncated to 1 hr. 7 minutes!

If you've not rung up and renegotiated your contract then you'll find that you're just being charged whatever VM see/saw fit for your package at the time of subscribing. Just as with a mobile phone tariff or a gas/electricity supply, at the end of the fixed term always ring up and try to get a better deal.

While I'm not suggesting going into specifics on the forum, the chances are pretty high that talking to Retentions (150, 1, 1, 4, 5) if you're out of contract will result in either a reduction in your bill, an increase in the services you're receiving for the same money, or a combination of the two!

You can add additional padding to a recording on TiVo/V6, it will automatically manage & resolve any recording clashes which may occur, as well as a myriad of other things which the V+HD box certainly can't do. If you are ringing up, then it would be advisable to request the V6 as this is the latest box. Two important caveats for the V6 are that a) it that it needs to be connected to at least a 100Mbps VM broadband connection, and b) it is an attended installation, so there may be a bit of a wait.

Regardless of which box you opt for, I sincerely doubt that you'd end up with a worse deal were you to get in touch with Retentions.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Which movies, at what times, on which channels, on which box?

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
darkstar22
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V+ box; movies, as near as I can tell, are at various times; certainly on various channels!  Most recently happened with Green Lantern last week; and Casablanca today; which were certainly on different channels.  Possibly significant that it's always shown that they've been recorded as 1 hr. 7 min.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

1h07 is ~4000 seconds, so I wonder if there's a 4096 issue somewhere.
Any other broadcasts you could try of over 70 mins which aren't films?

A slight change of topic - if you've only got a V+HD box, give them a ring and get an upgrade!. They haven't given those out for years, and the chances are you're paying over the odds to have it.

0 Kudos
darkstar22
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well....may be paying over the odds for the V+ box; but my understanding is that the Tivo would cost me more.  Also, isn't there a new more-bells-and-whistles box on the horizon?  (though I assume this would cost still more!)

0 Kudos
darkstar22
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hadn't understood your 4096 reference till I Googled it (only fairly techy, me); and now beginning to wonder - this 1 hr. 7 min. figure has been cropping up a lot on my recorded listings lately - hasn't been a problem (obviously) with the 1 hour and half-hour shows that I mainly tape; and only recently has shown up on the odd movie, as I reported (yesterday I watched one cropped movie, and one that happily recorded at 2 hours+!).  So maybe there is some insidious fault creeping in.  Will changing to Tivo, or the new box, avoid this?  (and hopefully the frequent cropping of the last few minutes of programs that I've been plagued by for years)?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you've not rung up and renegotiated your contract then you'll find that you're just being charged whatever VM see/saw fit for your package at the time of subscribing. Just as with a mobile phone tariff or a gas/electricity supply, at the end of the fixed term always ring up and try to get a better deal.

While I'm not suggesting going into specifics on the forum, the chances are pretty high that talking to Retentions (150, 1, 1, 4, 5) if you're out of contract will result in either a reduction in your bill, an increase in the services you're receiving for the same money, or a combination of the two!

You can add additional padding to a recording on TiVo/V6, it will automatically manage & resolve any recording clashes which may occur, as well as a myriad of other things which the V+HD box certainly can't do. If you are ringing up, then it would be advisable to request the V6 as this is the latest box. Two important caveats for the V6 are that a) it that it needs to be connected to at least a 100Mbps VM broadband connection, and b) it is an attended installation, so there may be a bit of a wait.

Regardless of which box you opt for, I sincerely doubt that you'd end up with a worse deal were you to get in touch with Retentions.