Menu
invyism
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Monthly credit due to Tivo uselessness?

Hello

Since the last 'update,' my Tivo has been as useful as a chocolate teapot.  Actually, less useful, at least a chocolate teapot leaves a pleasant taste in your mouth.

So, now, on top of the frequent random reboots, snail-paced responses to the remote control and general crapness of Tivo these days, it has taken to pixellating video and glitching the sound on recordings and/or live TV.

It's beyond obvious that even with regularly clearing the cache/resetting recommendations, etc, that the box is unfit for purpose and has become less reliable than a Hinari VCR circa 1995 using Videoplus.

I'd like someone to respond to me with regard to offering a credit on my account due to the unreliable service that Tivo has become, until such times as it can be depended upon to do what it's advertised to do.  £70+ a month for something that can't even manage a series recording without having a nervous breakdown.

Some straight-talking too please and less of the "thanks for reaching out/oh poor you condescending tripe" - trust me, if I was reaching out for someone at virginmedia, it wouldn't be with honourable intentions >Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Monthly credit due to Tivo uselessness?

Pixelation & sound glitches can be down to signal issues, which customer services or the forum team here will be able to test remotely. The issues with the TiVO firmware is partially the reason I have yet to upgrade from the V+ platform.  I live in hope the next update will fix the problem.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
invyism
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - had engineers out on many occasions and I'm savvy enough with tech to figure out where issues lie, usually pointing their engineers in the right direcction.  These issues (bar the youtube buffering) have all materialised since the last big Tivo update and it's ridiculous to see VM staff try to blag their way out of the issues that have arisen. 

Since posting the original message, it's become clear to me that the service I am currently receiving isn't worth half of what I'm paying monthly at the moment and I should cancel VM completely and go with unlimited everything (with a decent 4G speed for tethering) with my mobile provider instead.  Most of what I watch on TV is probably on freeview or available online (legally, I hasten to add) so it is probably time to go in that direction instead.

I appreciate your reply, I just don't feel that VM are competent in how they deliver their packages any more.

Regards

Jim

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As is generally the case with forums like this most contributors join because they are having issues with their service.  The customers with no issues tend not to post.  So in the interests of balance I thought I would add my comment to this.  Like Nodrodg i was reluctant to change from V+ to TiVo because of all the issues reported here.  However, back in May I changed over to TiVo and fortunately I have not suffered any issues with the box. I did turn off the suggestions nonsense as soon as I found out how.

invyism
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Once again, thank you for your input.  I'm glad Tivo has worked out well for you.  Unfortunately I'm one of the many who have had it rendered unuseable since the last upgrade.  And, not to come across as cheeky or ungrateful, you posting that your experience of Tivo has been favourable has no bearing on those of us who have had the opposite.

Regards

Jim

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i

you posting that your experience of Tivo has been favourable has no bearing on those of us who have had the opposite.

Regards

Jim

actually it does, it shows that not all tivos are equally affected. Mine is also fine. Any half competent IT dept would be using that info and requesting more, to narrow down the problem. Yet no one has even surveyed what make(s) of Tvos have slowed and what make(s) have not

it is obvious basic stuff to establish how many variations of make. model. firmware are out there and which ones are affected. Ditto for a survey by area, & by network utilisation in case that is a factor

ditto for presence / absence of smart card... suggestions on/off...

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Invyism,

Thank you for your message, I hope you are enjoying your week so far. I am sorry that this is something that is still happening, we do appreciate your patience.

The slow TiVo issue is still ongoing and work is being carried out currently to test the slowness against some progress we've been making. Whilst there is nothing official, I can see that there is some progress being made and this has been made a priority to fix. I have been testing your box and whilst there are no errors that would attribute to any slowness, I did notice your hard drive was throwing up some errors, which would directly attribute to your pixellation on recordings.

If you can have a little look inside your Inbox, you'll see I've sent you a Private Message. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope.

Please continue to visit us and take care.
Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

invyism
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No, it doesn't really.  I have already gone through all of the suggestions from on here and elsewhere and my Tivo always gets cleared out of stuff I no longer have to keep to make sure there's a healthy amount of space on the drive amongst other things - I'm not ignorant of technology.  But thanks anyway.

Anyhow, box was replaced this morning and replacement now has the wonderful disk noise  that makes watching anything utterly useless because the noise distracts so much.  Much as it pains me to say it, I just do not feel that I can settle for Tivo as it is anymore nor for VM's eternally hip customer facing team who, whilst being very pleasant, apologetic and emphatic, really seem to have very little influence on whether anything gets done.  I'm just a little bit tired and fed up of doing as they suggest and being met with more of the same, be it here, twitter, facebook or 150.

Tivo was once great, an absolute joy to have escaped from Sky to find and did well for many a year but now it mainly frustrates and it lets the whole package down.

So, having done everything asked of me by Ben and various reps on 150, I've lost a shedload of recordings and got a shiny new box that sounds like an asthmatic drill.  No fault on the tech guy who came out this morning and swapped it out, he was brilliant. 

Ben, I have repied to your PM, I'd appreciate it if you would escalate this matter further as I don't wish to spend another morning calling 150 to be met with constant transfers and disconnections. 

Regards.

0 Kudos