Menu
Markige
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Missing Amazon Prime Video App - Are they refusing VM the license?

My 5 year old sony tv has an amazon prime video app, so why doesn't VM tivo or the new V6 box?

I'm getting moved from pillar to post by official VM contact on facebook or twitter - although they agree it's odd - what's the story? Why is nobody talking about it?

Due to our setup its quite a pain to switch devices and it should be totally unnecessary

If Amazon are refusing to give VM the license then can't customers apply some pressure?

It would be good to get a formal answer from VM!

Markige
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing Amazon Prime Video App - Are they refusing VM the license?

virgin told me to ask the question here instead of facebook, which is just deflecting/playing for time

why won't they just give a straight forward answer?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Markige, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that not having Amazon Prime is causing you an inconvenience Smiley Sad

Currently we've not entered in to any negotiations for adding an Amazon Prime app.

We are always looking at ways to improve our services though so even though it's not something we're looking at now, it may be something we look at in the future. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This topic keeps popping up, there was even a rumour a month or so ago that it was being trialled. I'd also like to see an amazon app as at present I end up having to watch amazon stuff on my pc.

I'm wondering how this works though, how did it work with netflix ?

Do Amazon approach Virgin and say can we put it on your device, or would Virgin approach Amazon ?

Markige
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why send me here to ask when the answers is that there is no answer... ?
There's bad service in terms of wasting my time and theirs and then there's sending me off to waste time on my own here in this forum, run by a mix of lovely people and equally busy body people you'd expect to be 'running' a forum haha
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin have chosen to compete head on with Amazon video by selling movie rentals. Netflix does not do that so less of a competitor

Sony don't do movie rentals so they get the Amazon app. Virgin do sell those, so they don't.  

Basic capitalism.

Note that a Sky box or a now tv. box from sky  blocks  both N and A

If you want one box that does everything get RokU or Nvidia shield tv

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just to add another point of view from a user of the old Tivo. I would not want to see any more features added to my already overloaded box. I would much rather see apps removed in the hope it would make the thing function better. By all means add them to the V6, it might even help justify the upgrade cost.
Markige
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I know you're trying to be helpful, so I feel like a bit of an a* for saying but, but your post is quite patronising.

VM etc can and do employ many other ways of making content exclusive, without such a basic block of access.

For one reason or another I have both Netflix and Amazon video accounts... I think a lot of people do... especially people who geek up and pay for the latest boxes etc.

My argument is that I have other devices - yes I use them a lot more now. That just means I use the new VM box much less... which is bad for virgin actually. Surely? I rarely turn on the virgin box whereas it could easily be my hub, and be a real feature for them.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well okay so you can access it elsewhere like I do, nobody on here or at virgin cares if you do or don't use your box.
0 Kudos
VMViewer
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Markige wrote:

I know you're trying to be helpful, so I feel like a bit of an a* for saying but, but your post is quite patronising.

VM etc can and do employ many other ways of making content exclusive, without such a basic block of access.

For one reason or another I have both Netflix and Amazon video accounts... I think a lot of people do... especially people who geek up and pay for the latest boxes etc.

My argument is that I have other devices - yes I use them a lot more now. That just means I use the new VM box much less... which is bad for virgin actually. Surely? I rarely turn on the virgin box whereas it could easily be my hub, and be a real feature for them.

There are meny people that agree with you, as proven by the number of repeated requests for VM and Amazon to come to an agreement and add the app to the TiVo, as the addition of it would make the box a far more 'complete' package.

0 Kudos