Menu
KP52
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Loss of return path

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding issues with one of our Virgin tv boxes.

I have a tivo box installed in the lounge of my house and also a V+hd (scientific atlanta) box in my son's bedroom. The box in question is the V+hd box.

The box had suffered hard drive failure a little while ago but more recently it has decided to drop most of the channels leaving us with only a very basic range (1-5 + a few more and radio channels).

A blinking light signifying loss of return path is present on the front of the box, it's flashing all of the time and I cannot force the box to search for missing channels as the box can't connect to the interactive services (ref 1021) On demand services are also unavailable.

The diagnostic screen is reporting "Return path off" and the return power is "0dBmV".
I have also tested the connection using the tivo box and there are no issues there at all.
Is there anything I'm missing or do I need a new V+hd box sent out to me? It is getting on now!

Many thanks,
Keith

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loss of return path

Your SA V+ is obsolete now anyway, & VM are in the process of swapping them for TiVO's at no cost to the customer. Having said that, there is a possibility your cabling might be the cause of the fault. Give faults a ring & they will try to test signal levels at your second box.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
KP52
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi nodrogd,

Thanks for your response.
Is it the case that they would replace the second box for another tivo free of charge? I thought that if you have more than one tivo box you pay extra but I may be mistaken.
I assumed that the V+hd box would be replaced with a refurbished samsung box with MPEG4 compliance...
I have tried the v+hd box downstairs and it is the same as upstairs. The tivo box from downstairs works perfectly both upstairs and down with good signal levels and return path/power. Broadband has also been faultless with no drop outs or dips in speed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi KP52,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your V+ box.

I've attempted to run diagnostics on your box but, as you've said, there's no return path. I'd like to send a technician to sort this out for you.

I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment for you.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos