Menu
Dm007
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Loss of Sky sports HD channels on Virginmedia V+ Box

Up until Tuesday I had all the sky sports HD channels on my v+ box.  but now I only have sky sports news HD and Sky sports mix HD.

Virgin customer service to have it re added to the XL package would cost an extra £7 per month and these channels were removed last March from customers after Virgin realised they had made a mistake and lots of customers had access to sports in HD without subscribing.

Although I remember the cost was £10 extra per month when HD started being rolled out 8-9 years ago and my bill increased when I started subscribing.

The main issue is I have a recording that I can no longer access due to not having Sky sports 2 HD and the tech guy said he was unable to re add the channels as 'updates' had been made to the V+ Box.

Basically to have sky sports 1-5 HD back means upgrading to the VIP package (cheaper) and having a tivo installed.

Why can't SSHD 1-5 be put back on when I still recieve every other channel including SS news and SS mix in HD?

I think this is just a ploy to force me to update my box which I had intended to do before the end of April.

Has anybody experienced this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Loss of Sky sports HD channels on Virginmedia V+ Box

If you've got the Samsung V+ HD box, then you should still be able to get the Sky Sports HD add on for £7 a month on top of your Sky Sports SD subscription put on, without any other upgrades.

But if you've got the Scientific Atlanta V+ HD box, then the system blocks the addition of the Sky Sports HD add-on to this box, due to the need to swap these to TiVo due to HD technical changes. Once you're swapped to TiVo in this situation, then the £7 add on would be available again - however the recording you want to access wouldn't.

However, if you've been offered the VIP upgrade, this may end up being overall cheaper to you than just adding the £7 add on back on in either situation.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Dm007
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Only wish they had left them on since I have subscribed to them  100% since 2009.

I understand your point about reactivation being an issue but I presume the scientific atlanta virgin v+ hd box (which is what i've got) didn't just stop displaying Sky Sports 1-5 in HD overnight due the technical changes.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The SA box will go offline next month unless you upgrade to the Tivo or V6, you should have been contacted about this

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And if you haven't then go to https://keepup.virginmedia.com/boxswap
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dm007 wrote:

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Only wish they had left them on since I have subscribed to them  100% since 2009.

I understand your point about reactivation being an issue but I presume the scientific atlanta virgin v+ hd box (which is what i've got) didn't just stop displaying Sky Sports 1-5 in HD overnight due the technical changes.

Cheers

This process has been going on for a while, are you sure you have not been contacted some time over the last fifteen months?

I don't have Sky Sports in HD but I do have Sky Movies in HD and I was contacted in December 2015 and was told that I would need to have my Scientific Atlanta V+ box replaced. Given that I have always detested the V+ I was delighted to have it replaced with a Tivo, which I self-installed before Christmas that year.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Dm007
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Still confused though how I am still receiving Sky Sports Mix and Sky Sports News in HD but not 1-5

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports Mix and Sky Sports News are not part of the Sky Premium channels.

They are included in the main TV packs, so if you're on Full House TV you'll continue to receive them in HD for now as they're delivered differently to the Sky Premium HD channels.

However all HD channels will stop working on the Scientific Atlanta V+ HD boxes at some point soon which is why they are all being swapped out.