Menu
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Locked recordings - I'm VERY annoyed

Earlier this year I recorded a series of concerts from Sky Arts2HD, for us to enjoy on winter evenings.

Now I want to play them, I get a message to say they cannot be played because SkyArts2HD is no longer available on Virgin Media, and do I want to delete them. There was no prior warning about this - if there had been I would have played them sooner.

We are extremely disappointed about losing all of this channel's recordings, particularly as the cost of the TV service went up recently to pay for BT Sport that is of no interest in our family.

We paid the subscription for these programmes, and once they have been recorded we should be allowed to watch them.

Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Locked recordings - I'm VERY annoyed

Hi Jpeg1,

Thank you for coming in and posting your comments again. 

I'm sorry to hear that you've not been able to view those programs, with the channel no longer being aired It wouldn't be possible to view the channel programme. I'm also sorry that you weren't aware of this at the time.

Please stay in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

BenD_H wrote:

Hi Jpeg1,

Hi Ben

... I'm also sorry that you weren't aware of this at the time.

How could I have been aware of it? There was no warnings.

I was careful to save the recordings and was looking forward to seeing them. They are still on the TiVo but locked.

Please stay in touch.

I'd love to come back, when I can do so without headaches.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

While I know it is dissapointing, I ought to point out that Sky normally has a policy of disabling any recorded content from their channels immediately if you cease to subscribe or a channel ceases to operate. With Sky Arts 2 they made an exception to this rule & allowed several months for the content to be viewed.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
s00z
Just joined
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You say this as if it is something everyone knows. My understanding of the system is that you record something onto a HARD DISK, which fills up, so you should be able to view recorded programs whatever the status of the channel with Virgin.

There was nothing attached to the program name (Giselle, fyi) to say that it was in danger - indeed, it still had the lock symbol against it to say that it WOULD BE KEPT UNTIL I DELETED IT. By not keeping it I believe you have reneged on our contract - perhaps you would like to send me a DVD of this ballet if you are not able to reinstate it on my hard disk. 

I find your attitude rather patronising and unhelpful. What are you going to do to prevent such disappointments again?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The programme requires the metadata from the channel ID it was recorded from to work. When this ceases to be transmitted on the network, the recording becomes unplayable (locked), although it still uses space on the disk.

Virgin does not own the programmes of the channels it broadcasts. They are owned by the broadcaster providing them, as are your recordings, which are permitted only for timeshifting purposes only, as per VM's T&C's. You have not bought the rights to keep a programme by recording it from a subscription channel.

Like it or not, if Virgin allowed you access to these recordings outside of the agreement with the channel broadcaster, they would be risking legal proceedings being taken.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

chriscl
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wouldn't it be great if, you know, someone invented an additional box that plugged into your telly or your TV box that allowed you to record these programs, perhaps onto some form of tape, that you could then keep as long as you wished?

We could maybe call it a "Video Recorder" or something?

How's that for a futuristic idea? I know, it's only 2015 and such things may sound like Science Fiction, but you never know what's around the corner, in the world of technology!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I doubt content owners will go back in that direction. They have wanted the removal of recording sockets on PVR's for years, & a lot of new DVD recorders now only record from their internal Freeview tuners & not external sources.

Sky & Virgin are also openly looking at cloud storage of programmes, which could easily remove the need for a hard disk in the PVR & make the whole customer end system cheaper to maintain. The upside is you can view your content seamlessly on mobile & fixed devices anywhere. However, along with this comes the possibility of time limits being imposed on your "recordings" by the content owners.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos