Menu
Di-Eady
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Local News Channel

Hi, I have recently signed up for Virgin - my BBC local regional news is not the one I am used to and I would like to change it but the channel is not on the list although I can get it on I Player. I have phoned 151 and after trying for quite a while to explain this to the lady I gave up! I was with Virgin a couple of years ago and had BBC Look North (Yorkshire & Lincolnshire) but it's not there now surely there must be a way to change from BBC East Midlands today to BBC Look North??
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Local News Channel

TV regions on cable are fixed & cannot be changed. When the cable networks were built, the government authority that was in chrge took little notice of region boundries. Areas like Lincoln were lumped in with the Nottingham franchise as they considered a Lincoln only franchise would not have been viable. As a result all the customers in Lincoln are downstream of the Nottingham cable headend & can only get East Midlands programmes.

Your only alternative apart from using Freeview is to use the iPlayer Live stream facility to get your local news.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
trentman
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Di-Eady,

I'm in Area 30 (Grantham) and get East Midlands Today on Channel 101 and Look North Yorks and Lincs in the regional BBC section on channel 858.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As above, there are some overlap feeds available, but not in all areas.

The allocated channels for additional regions are:

BBC1 - 858

ITV - 870 or 871

These are old legacy feeds, so there is no alternative where ITV HD regions overlap.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos