Menu
alistairgd
Up to speed
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just been given Movies for no extra charge, no contract....?

Virgin have just phoned and given me a free upgrade so my TV XL package now includes the movie channels. No contract, can cancel anytime I like.

This is apparently because they have decided I did not deserve the recent price hike, but rather than give me the money back per month, they are giving me movies for free, for the life of my account.

Seems okay to me, but the cynic in me is left wondering if this is another clever sales technique.

0 Kudos
alistairgd
Up to speed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just been given Movies for no extra charge, no contract....?

Hmm,, look like I made a bit of a mistake, they offered me Movies or Sport and I took the movies, having looked at the selection offered on the movie channels I wish I had taken the sports channels!

I'll phone tomorrow and see if I can change my mind....

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi alistairgd,

Thanks for coming by, please do let us know how you get on.

We're here to help anytime you need us.

Keep us posted Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
alistairgd
Up to speed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So it turns out I was the victim of deceptive sales from Virgin...

After being told I was getting movies for free, no contract, for life, because I was a 22 yr customer, I get confirmation in the mail today that there IS a new contract, that there IS a price hike, and to top it off the letter that explains the cooling off period stated a cancellation phone number that is INVALID.

Not exactly they best way to KEEP a customer of 22 yrs.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi alistairgd

I'm sorry to hear this offer was mis-sold to you as a customer Smiley Sad

I can see that you've called in to query this with our teams and they have made the adjustments you have requested on your behalf.

I appreciate you taking the time to post this here and I will leave feedback for the agent who made the initial promise to you.

Thank you so much for getting in touch here.  If you need any further support please let us know.

Kind regards

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

alistairgd 

Just out of interest did VM honour the commitment given by their agent as should be done or are you back to square one

0 Kudos
alistairgd
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So, the timeline is something like 4 days after I was mis-sold (and I do not use the term lightly), I received the new "contract" and immediately phoned and cancelled. The CSA gave me an apology and said my account would be put back the way it was before, and I would be credited for the period of upsell.

Two days later is today, and I receive my bill by email and it is about £20 more than usual, so apart from all the hastle, I am £20 out of pocket.

It is so obvious that the cold caller team are on commission because they word things to confuse the customer and pressure talk them into accepting what seems like a great deal, awarded to a long time customer.

Virgin media is jekyll and hyde, the level of service from TV and BB is terrific, the sales techniques/delivery is appalling.

I feel am really due a free month for this, and I should contact the relevant ombudsman to complain about the sales technique. If Virgin were at all interested, they would check the records to see WHO made me these false promises, and if possible after checking call records take appropriate action to prevent re-occurrence.

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

alistairgd wrote:

It is so obvious that the cold caller team are on commission because they word things to confuse the customer and pressure talk them into accepting what seems like a great deal, awarded to a long time customer.

Or maybe just pressure from supervisors to keep their jobs.

Thanks for taking the time to update - I thought from Karen's post that something dodgy had gone off (no criticism of her).

Of course mis selling (no mistake here) is a polite way of referring to fraud - obtaining money by deception.

Hope they have the integrity to return yours immediately and I suggest that any reputable company would be horrified and pretty quick to offer a suitable goodwill gesture. It's pretty clear here that it would be reasonable to provide what you were actually offered - the CSA was.acting as agent for VM.

Anyway you seem on top of things - good luck.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi alistairgd, 

Thank you for your update on this. I'm sorry to hear about this situation where the Movie package was mis-sold to you.

If you would like to discuss further compensation or goodwill gesture on your account, please call in on 150 from a Virgin Media landline to speak with our Customer Relations team. Due to security issues, the Forum team is unable to action this on individual accounts. 

If you would like to make a formal complaint on this, I will send you further details via private message so we can get this escalated for you.

Regards.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos