Menu
nbob
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

ITV Collections

Is there a reason why ITV Collections is only appearing on the TiVo box and not the V+? Is it another deliberate stunt, like when removing BBC HD catch up, to force us to use the slow TiVo?

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: ITV Collections

I'm only surmising here, but it maybe that the content is using MPEG4, like the SkyOnDemand HD library does. The Scientific Atlanta V+ doesn't support MPEG4 unlike Samsung & V-HD, and it's considered easier to restrict them to TiVo only.

nbob
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That was my 1st thinking too japitts but none of the content in ITV Collections is HD for it to be in MPEG4. As for restricting, there were some MPEG4 Sky Movies HD on demand content mistakenly available to all last year and they appeared and played fine on my Samsung V+. There seriously is no excuse.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

MPEG4 content does not have to be in HD. The compression standard uses less bandwidth, so more OD linear streams can be broadcast per cable segment. Result, less over utilisation issues & OD being "not available - please try later"

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

nbob
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That still doesn't explain why I can't access it on the Samsung V+, which is more than capable of handling MPEG4. If that wasn't the case, Virgin would've offered all those with Sky premium HD and a Samsung V+ a change to a TiVo, in preparation of the switch of those channels to MPEG4 next month.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

As metioned above, there are 2 types of V+ box. One can access MPEG4, the other can't. Also the remaining older Samsung 2110 & Pace V boxes can't. Therefore VM have decided to offer the content on an "upgraded" TiVO service.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
nbob
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I hadn't realised you were a representative of VM. You have no source to post as fact what you did and it still makes no sense. I would rather wish an official VM would give me the answer as to why ITV Collections is not available on my Samsung V+.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

nbob wrote:

I hadn't realised you were a representative of VM. You have no source to post as fact what you did and it still makes no sense. I would rather wish an official VM would give me the answer as to why ITV Collections is not available on my Samsung V+.

This is primarily a user based forum and you have been given the correct answer

japitts
Well-informed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Indeed Danny - just to attempt a rephrasing too..

"We" accept that the Samsung V+ is quite technically capable of MPEG4 as do VM - but it's then a marketing/support decision to not offer it. It's considered easier to say "tivo only" than to explain why certain V+ users can get this content and others can't.

0 Kudos
nbob
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Correct according to who? There's no link to any official sources.

0 Kudos