Menu
Essexranger
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I live in Chelmsford so why can't I get BBC East but get BBC London, South East, Scotland, Wales, NI?!

I want to get my local BBC news etc (look east), not London, Kent/Sussex, Scotland, Wales, NI news! This has been the case for ages.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I live in Chelmsford so why can't I get BBC East but get BBC London, South East, Scotland, Wales, NI?

This has always been the case, & is a result of the government agency that set up cable franchises taking little regard to region boundaries. As a result you  & everyone in your network build area is downstream of a London cable headend (yours is in Basildon). Everyone downstream of that Headend gets the same channels on the same numbers, so hence you get London channels on 101 & 103.

London cable  franchises in yellowLondon cable franchises in yellow

There were some cross network legacy feeds put in to resolve this issue where overlaps were deemed big enough & a solution was viable. If one exists out of your Headend you will find the additional region feeds on 858 for BBC1, & 870 or 871 for ITV.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I live in Chelmsford so why can't I get BBC East but get BBC London, South East, Scotland, Wales, NI?

This has always been the case, & is a result of the government agency that set up cable franchises taking little regard to region boundaries. As a result you  & everyone in your network build area is downstream of a London cable headend (yours is in Basildon). Everyone downstream of that Headend gets the same channels on the same numbers, so hence you get London channels on 101 & 103.

London cable  franchises in yellowLondon cable franchises in yellow

There were some cross network legacy feeds put in to resolve this issue where overlaps were deemed big enough & a solution was viable. If one exists out of your Headend you will find the additional region feeds on 858 for BBC1, & 870 or 871 for ITV.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Essexranger
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for that. I had always wondered why
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: I live in Chelmsford so why can't I get BBC East but get BBC London, South East, Scotland, Wa...

Hi Essexranger,

Thank you for taking the time to post into the Community it's great to see a new face Smiley Happy

I can see that you've met one of the Community, another really great post Nodrogd.

If there's anything that you may need in the future please let us know here and someone will be with you again Smiley Happy

All the best.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos