Menu
eskirob
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have a big problem

Hi,

Right the problem is I decided to put my ex girlfriends virgin media in my name. She lives at a different property where virgin media is installed. Is there anything I can do to pass this bill to her?

Regards
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have a big problem

I could be flippant and say take it round and leave it there, but that would be unkind. So I won't.

VM don't much care who pays the bill so the direct debit can be in anyone's name. However if you put the account in your name that is where the story ends. It's yours and you are liable.

If you left it in your ex's name it's her's and you should tell her what has happened and ask her to pay. If she doesn't the services at your address will be cut off in due course.

There are other twists and turns in this tale but I've given you the basics.

This really is a technical forum and not a relationship counselling site. This query would be better asked of your local CAB or similar

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
eskirob
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The account is in her name as all bills are posted to her, I just have the direct debit set up. Im not here for relationship advice I'm here to get answers.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Look it's still tricky - the bill is hers and she is clearly liable. But how are you going to persuade her to pay up? There is no reliable way of doing so. And this is a wider point than just VM bills. If she doesn't pay the services at your address will be cut off. So you could carry on paying if you don't want this to happen.

I told you there were twists and turns. You could ask VM to do a transfer of responsibility for a future date so the account transfers to you, pure and simple. But that means you'll have to undergo a credit check. There is also a £20 fee. VM will then chase your ex for the money for the period before the transfer is made - unless you pay up.

You could ask them to cancel the account, if you don't want the services anymore. But they may insist on speaking to your ex before they do so. They can legitimately and reasonably refuse to deal with you on this point.

Enough answers?

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
eskirob
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yeah that's helpful Thankyou.

Virgin media is setup at her address, I only agreed to pay the direct debit to help out but obviously now that doesn't count. I'll contact virgin and see if they can pass it over as I no longer wish to pay her bill.

Thanks again for the information
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've genuinely misunderstood. I thought both of you were at the same address and then she went. I now see that she is somewhere else with an account but you were kind enough to pay the bill, which you now don't wish to do (understandably).

You could simply cancel the DD with your bank. Then VM will get on the case and chase your ex g/f for the money.

She'll probably come round screaming!

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:
I've genuinely misunderstood. I thought both of you were at the same address and then she went. I now see that she is somewhere else with an account but you were kind enough to pay the bill, which you now don't wish to do (understandably).

You could simply cancel the DD with your bank. Then VM will get on the case and chase your ex g/f for the money.

She'll probably come round screaming!

I think that you have still misunderstood. In the initial post he says "I decided to put my ex girlfriends virgin media in my name". That would suggest to me that he is responsible for the account and payments and simply cancelling the DD could land him with problems.

If I am correct then surely the simplest option, if the account is in his name and he pays the bills, is to simply cancel, assuming that he is out of contract.

Otherwise, if his ex wishes to continue with the service, at her expense, then a transfer of responsibility might be the answer.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
eskirob
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Sorry if my initial post wasn't clear. All bills are addressed in her name and the payment is made by direct debit from my bank account. Change of responsibility sounds more like the route to go down. I tried calling vm but the number I called asked for an account number. As all paperwork is sent to her I don't have the account number.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

eskirob wrote:
Hi,

Sorry if my initial post wasn't clear. All bills are addressed in her name and the payment is made by direct debit from my bank account. Change of responsibility sounds more like the route to go down. I tried calling vm but the number I called asked for an account number. As all paperwork is sent to her I don't have the account number.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I understand you correctly now then you do have a problem, of sorts. If the bills are addressed in her name then the assumption is that the contract is in her name, in which case it is unlikely that VM will speak to you regarding the account as she is the account holder.

In which case Howard was correct in that you could stop paying the DD but, if you want to keep things peaceful, then advise her first so that she is not left in the lurch.

At this point it is a relationship issue as to how the both of you proceed but it would seem that you are perfectly entitled to stop paying the DD. Your choice, but discussing it in a civil manner might be the best way forward. Good luck.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
eskirob
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for that, I'll get it sorted tomorrow, me and her are not in a position to talk so I'll have to do it by cancelling the dd.

I'm grateful of all responses thanks again
0 Kudos