Menu
JDRogers
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I changed package and they locked up my previous V+ recordings despite promising not to!!!!!!

My TV was too expensive, so I asked to be put on a lower package. But BEFORE I allowed this, I asked SPECIFICALLY whether I would lose any of my previous recordings from my V+ box. I was assured, on the phone, that my recordings would NOT BE AFFECTED. However, when they moved me onto the lower TV package, ALL of my V+ recordings from SkyArts2 were LOCKED and inaccessible. IMPORTANT; SkyArts 2 channel had ALREADY stopped broadcasting (for EVERYONE) before I changed packages, so I did NOT "lose" sky arts 2 by going down a package .... IT HAD ALREADY STOPPED BROADCASTING (for everyone) .... SO WHY WERE MY RECORDINGS DISABLED ??!!!!! I have tried HUNDREDS of times to talk to someone about this on the virgin help/chat-online, but I ALWAYS get "All of our agents are currently busy. Please try again later." I have phoned 150, only to be sent in circles with an irritating multiple choice system that has no option to cover my question, and apparently no way to actually TALK TO SOMEONE!! WHY CAN'T I JUST E-MAIL virgin and get a reply???? For a communications company not to have an email contact address is just RIDICULOUS!!! I have also tried to get a replacement remote, and cannot find any way to get through the 150 system to do this. I'm now on the point of leaving Virgin altogether. JDRogers
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: I changed package and they locked up my previous V+ recordings despite promising not to!!!!!!

Sky require a channel to be in your current TV package to watch previously recorded programs. Other channels should be OK.

0 Kudos
JDRogers
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: I changed package and they locked up my previous V+ recordings despite promising not to!!!!!!

So because skyarts2 has stopped broadcasting (completely), EVERYONE'S recordings of skyarts 2 have been disabled? Is that the case?

0 Kudos
JDRogers
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

More to the point, I was assured by a Virgin representative that none of my recordings would be affected. He lied to me.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi JDRogers,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm terribly sorry your recordings have been blocked following a package downgrade.

I see Ernie_C has provided you with the answer here.

I'm also sorry you feel you have been lied to. It could be that the agent wasn't sure and needs more training and education with this matter.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Rich_B wrote:

Hi JDRogers,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm terribly sorry your recordings have been blocked following a package downgrade.

I see Ernie_C has provided you with the answer here.

I'm also sorry you feel you have been lied to. It could be that the agent wasn't sure and needs more training and education with this matter.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

So, just because you don't/can't/won't train your 'agents' correctly, THEIR stupidity/ignorance has cost someone their valued recordings, and all you can say is ...'I'm sorry'.

Why not try to make sure the people 'lying' to customers are trained correctly then!!

MIGHT JUST HELP, rather than continually allowing them to 'con' customers.... appears to be happening more and more according to this forum!!

0 Kudos
JDRogers
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Rich_B,

My question has not been answered.

BEFORE I downgraded my TV package, SkyArts2 had stopped broadcasting ... completely ... not just for me but for everyone.

So, were EVERYONE'S recordings of SkyArts2 locked after the channel stopped broadcasting?  Yes or no?

I did not "lose" SkyArts2 by downgrading because the channel had ALREADY CEASED broadcasting.

The recordings that were locked were of Anrdre Rieu concerts, which my 89 year old mother watched repeatedly.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

JDRogers wrote:

So because skyarts2 has stopped broadcasting (completely), EVERYONE'S recordings of skyarts 2 have been disabled? Is that the case?

Yep. Its standard Sky policy & that includes their own satellite customers. All other channel recordings should remain available. Having said that, recordings on any PVR are only licenced to VM for timeshifting purposes, so any other channel could impose the same restriction if they wished. So as far as what you were informed, the functionality of the box to play back the recordings after changing your subscription is correct.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
lindzi
Dialled in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi
I think if the channel stops broadcasting you can no longer view that recording. I had a recording of a programme that featured a friend of mine and when the channel ceased broadcasting I could no longer view it. So I think it would've been lost to you due to the channel. I am not sure why this is, but someone on the forum will hopefully explain this for me.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

lindzi wrote:
Hi
I think if the channel stops broadcasting you can no longer view that recording. I had a recording of a programme that featured a friend of mine and when the channel ceased broadcasting I could no longer view it. So I think it would've been lost to you due to the channel. I am not sure why this is, but someone on the forum will hopefully explain this for me.

Certainly for the V+, Virgin has to keep transmitting the metadata of the closed channel for you to continue watching the recordings. Once this is removed (they have done this for up to 90 days in the past) the recordings cannot be viewed.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile