Menu
SonicAaron
Dialled in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

How many price increases per year?

I seem to remember years ago with ntl: you'd get one increase a year of maybe a quid or two.

I'm convinced that we got a notice about a bill increase a few months ago. . .and a few months before that - and we literally got another letter through the door today saying there's ANOTHER increase from February. . .the kicker is that it's not by a quid. . .it's by £3.99.

I'm literally shocked. . .how many increases are there?

I genuinely believe that this will drive me to Sky. . .I'm not going to go onto retentions and try and get a better deal because all I'm doing is offsetting the increase. . .and then next July there'll probably be another one. . and then another one in November. . .then February again.

Is it just me that feels this way? I've NEVER had Sky. ntl: was the first non terrestrial TV service we ever got (back in 1999) but this must be the end for us as it really does seem like increase after increase.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
cruising
Superfast
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: How many price increases per year?

The recent price increase was to pay for the ridiculous money paid for the extra football channels. It was possible to negate this by moaning to the retentions team for a reduction because I was disgusted with being forced to pay for dedicated sports channels that I didnt want.

I guess it may be a little more difficult when February comes as VM are claiming the increase is for all these so-called wonderful "inclusives" they are hoisting upon us.

Many customers dont want to be bombarded with all theses gimmicky "inclusives" that are mostly never used.

We need to be able to select a good,solid,reliable product, that is properly priced and works efficiently on a daily basis.......without all this extra claptrap that is hardly ever used. If anybody wants these extras as add ons...then fair enough....but to call them inclusives and add a blanket charge for stuff you dont want is a rip off.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The usual pattern is:

Late summer - Increases in Sky Premiums - outside VM's control.

Around September - standalone service customers.

Around February - bundle customers + Line Rental charges.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
PaulBurge55
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

In theory it is only 2 this year.

1st was the yearly above inflation price increase blamed on increase in costs

2nd was for the inclusion of a sports channel that I did not want. If I wanted sports Id subscribe to sports. Reason they did this is they have more people on normal entertainment packages than sports packages so will make more money. 

Now we have the yearly ABOVE inflation  price rise looming to pay for the Free upgrades in service.

Virgin... Try asking you customers if they want the products. don't just hoist it on them and then up the prices.

OH and try the reward existing loyal customers or you might find they will vote with their feet and move to your competitors.

0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

As previously mentioned, we had an extra price increase to the XL pack during the summer to cover the cost of adding BT Sport Europe. At the time many people who didn't want this channel complained and were given a refund. When I called I was told that although my bill was going up by £3, the actual cost to Virgin Media for this one channel was closer to £5. I was told that I was getting a good deal for this extra premium channel that I didn't even want because Virgin Media were absorbing some of the cost themselves. At the time I speculated that this would just mean that the next price rise would be larger than usual to allow Virgin Media to claw back some of the money that they've spent on BT Sport.

Virgin Media really need to rethink how they package their products. Constant above inflation price rises on an inflexible TV package that forces customers to pay for additional services they may not want isn't doing them any good. It's no surprise that they are loosing TV customers at a time when their competitors are gaining customers.

0 Kudos
SonicAaron
Dialled in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It is annoying.

Two price increases a year is almost outrageous. Especially when it amounts to about £7.

Very disappointing.
Johnvirg
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It's so not on ....the rate of inflation has hovered around 0% for months now so there should be no increase at all.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps you don't appreciate the meaning of inflation. It is a composite of factors, some increasing and some decreasing.

I presume you are happy with the reduction in petrol prices.

0 Kudos
SonicAaron
Dialled in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Not really comparable, the petrol and to markets, are they?

Otherwise the Virgin bill would go down and up.

Instead of just up by 10%.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

OK. Just because inflation is currently zero does not mean that all prices are static.

Some prices must have gone down to balance those that have gone up.

Some of the components, eg petrol, can go up or down.

Some elements, perhaps TV services are an example, seem to be always going up.

0 Kudos