Menu
darrellt
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How do I Upgrade VHD to TiVo

Hi,

I have a TiVo and a VHD box. I've seen offers charging not only a monthly charge but an installation fee for swapping out the older VHD box. 

Can I swap out the VHD for a new TiVo myself and thus avoid the installation charge? I've seen the Box Swap offer for customers that have the non-HD Virgin box and that seems to offer a self-install option.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How do I Upgrade VHD to TiVo

Hi there darrellt, 

Firstly I'd like to start by welcoming you to the forums, and thank you for your post. As you've already discovered, members of this forum are really helpful, and will share experiences. 

And I have to back up what both dannylau and andju have said, you can indeed arrange for this to be done quite easily, unfortunately we're unable to do this via the forums due to security issues, however, give our customer service team a call, and whilst they are looking at swapping the box over, they'll take a look to see if there are any deals that can be done to make things cheaper for you, or give you more for what you're already paying.

You can contact the team by calling 150 or 0345 454 1111, and there is also the online chat facility that you can use by clicking on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page Once that link has opened up, click on "Buying or Upgrading", then "Upgrade my Broadband, TV or Phone package" and you'll see the chat online option. Once you've opened up the chat box, if you see a message saying all of our agents are busy, refresh the page every now and again, and as soon as someone is free they'll be able to take a look at things for you. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Cheers

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Self install of the TiVo would be £19.9 and £5 per month , you'd probably need to phone in to get this arranged

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

However, I did a self install from a V+ to an additional 500GB TiVo for free.

I called to enquire, and they said "as a long standing customer, they would waive all fees"

It pays to call, and to stay polite (in my case)

Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there darrellt, 

Firstly I'd like to start by welcoming you to the forums, and thank you for your post. As you've already discovered, members of this forum are really helpful, and will share experiences. 

And I have to back up what both dannylau and andju have said, you can indeed arrange for this to be done quite easily, unfortunately we're unable to do this via the forums due to security issues, however, give our customer service team a call, and whilst they are looking at swapping the box over, they'll take a look to see if there are any deals that can be done to make things cheaper for you, or give you more for what you're already paying.

You can contact the team by calling 150 or 0345 454 1111, and there is also the online chat facility that you can use by clicking on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page Once that link has opened up, click on "Buying or Upgrading", then "Upgrade my Broadband, TV or Phone package" and you'll see the chat online option. Once you've opened up the chat box, if you see a message saying all of our agents are busy, refresh the page every now and again, and as soon as someone is free they'll be able to take a look at things for you. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Cheers

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
darrellt
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I took your advice, called Virgin, explained that I already have one TiVo and one VboxHD, wanted to exchange the VboxHD for a TiVo. Was told no problem and that another TiVo would be sent out. I recieved the additional TiVo today, called the activation line, before swapping out the old VboxHD, as the instructions said, once activation was complete the main existing TiVo went off and then when next it came up it now displays error 7400. Rebooting it makes no difference. I'd really appreciate any tips.

Also, was told that to benefit from the new broadband speed upgrade (DOCSIS) I would recieve a new hub today as well, but this did not arrive.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey darrellt

Just checking in to see if you made any progress with activating the TiVo box in the end?

I can see you've taken the time to give the team a call, if you need any additional assistance just give us a shout hereMan Happy

Hope you're well

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
darrellt
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your message. After calling support it was found that the original Tivo had been removed from the Virgin network instead of the VboxHD. Support thankfully fixed this quickly. 

I also asked about the new hub that the original Virgin staff member said was being sent, and was told that I don't need it. My speed tests using http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test/ list me at 39.56 MB (10:08 19/01/2015), though I'm now supposedly on up to 150 MB. The support person said at his end my speed seemed much faster. I'll hook up a laptop directly to the hub and try the speed test again but, if anything, it seems slower now than before.

Thanks for your support,

Darrell.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Darrell

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me, I really appreciate it. 

If you're finding your broadband speeds are still slower than they should be, post in our broadband board and one of our experts will take a look from our end for you Man Happy

I'll be here if there's anything I'm able to help with.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
darrellt
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Craig,

Regarding the current broadband speed, I've hooked up a laptop directly to the Virgin hub and got 29.93 Mb/s download and 6.04 Mb/s upload (96 ms ping)using broadbandspeedchecker at 10:00pm approx.

Let me know if you need more,

Darrell.

0 Kudos
tammac81
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I I had nothing but trouble from the moment it was installed and I believe that I am not alone. would advise you to look out posts about tivo boxes on the forums before you "upgrade?"

0 Kudos