Menu
reverend
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Help needed: can I keep using my VBox?

Hello

I'm hoping that someone who works for Virgin may be able to help me here.

I phoned Virgin yesterday to talk about signing up for a new 12 month contract. Our household gets TV, broadband and phone from Virgin. We're pretty happy with the service, though like everyone else we do experience occasions when the Broadband speed leaves a lot to be desired. But it's okay, it's bearable most of the time. We live with it.

I'm happy with the 12-month deal that was offered, except for one important thing: apparently we cannot keep our old Cisco VBox and must exchange it for a TiVo box. But we don't want to. We had a TiVo box 3 years ago and the humming and whirring noise it made drove me round the twist. So we were sent a VBox instead and we've been using that ever since.

My wife and I don't watch a lot of telly, and we never record stuff. The VBox is perfect for us. Surely we should be able to keep using it?!

To reiterate: we're happy with the 12-month contract, but we just want to keep our old box.

Please can someone at Virgin intervene here on my behalf? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks very much.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help needed: can I keep using my VBox?

I'm sorry to say, but any change of core package now results in a TiVO upgrade. Virgin have now taken the decision that they can no longer maintain the 15-20 year old middleware platform the non-TiVO boxes run on & are phasing them out. The system is well past its sell-by date, & is handling far more channels than it was ever designed for, which is causing increasing problems. Unfortunately you have no choice in the matter, the equipment is rented, & as long as the equipment provided gives you access to the services you pay for, its a case of accept it or move on.

As far as broadband speed goes, if you have issues, please ring up & get it investigated. It may be a simple issue that can be resolved in minutes.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
reverend
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks very much for the reply.

We haven't changed our package at all - we'll be staying on the 'M' package as before, just with a new 12-month deal in place. Does this mean if I hadn't phoned to agree a new 12-month contract we could have kept using the VBox, or are Virgin recalling all of these?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The new 12 month contract will trigger the change. The older SA V+HD boxes are now a thing of the past, as the result of a TiVO swapout that started in November. The other boxes days are numbered, so you might as well take the plunge now.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos