Menu
Raaboo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HD movies on demand on V HD box

okay, so I have a TiVo downstairs and a VHD box upstairs. I also have premium HD and Movies packages.

on the TiVo I can see movies on demand that are in HD or SD, but on the V HD box, I see no HD movies at all listed, this is extremely frustrating as I am paying for HD movies but cannot view them upstairs. Is this usual for Virgin or have they yet again screwed up my services.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HD movies on demand on V HD box

It is usual.
I have the same setup as you and due to the encoding of the Sky HD movies you can only access them on demand through a Tivo.

All Replies
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is usual.
I have the same setup as you and due to the encoding of the Sky HD movies you can only access them on demand through a Tivo.
Raaboo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Interesting that Virgin Media do not actually tell you this at any point - not overly impressed with that to be fair as makes HD movies useless for half the house!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's because they are encoded in MPG4 and some of the legacy boxes (Scientific Atlantic) can only do MPG2 when all of the legacy boxes have gone they may be able to initialize the other boxes to accept HD movies

0 Kudos
Raaboo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Am I the only one though who thinks that a simple software configuration and update could enable this - encoding is a software issue generally and surely the system can be configured to allow this; what's the point in advertising a service you can only half provide?!

In a similar note, if the movies are encoded incorrectly, then why can HD channels be decoded fine - surely SKY do not encode their channels differently to their on demand as you can get normal HD on the box - pretty stupid if they do.

All in all I find the encoding excuse a bit of a damp squib really, as surely they could have worked around this instead of just carrying on selling on demand HD movies as part of sky package as nowhere on site does it tell you that on the VHD box you don't get on demand HD from Sky packages!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HD channels are in MPG2

I'm sure Virgin will get around to forcing people to get rid of the legacy boxes at some point and will then be able to upgrade to MPG4

0 Kudos