Menu
kesgreen
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ground Loop hum

I have just hooked up a subwoofer to my TV output and get a terrible hum. Investigation has revealed that the cause is the cable TV input ground being different from the audio signal ground.
Has anyone found a fix for this? I have tried a cheap ground loop isolator in the audio path, but some hum is still present. Perhaps something like this would work: http://cpc.farnell.com/vision/v5-025/galvanic-isolator-2-3ghz/dp/AP02680?ost=galvanic+isolator
0 Kudos
kesgreen
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ground Loop hum

Nothing? No tech support online?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi kesgreen,

Thanks for coming by. Smiley Happy

I wanted to pop by and say although audio equipment isn't my best topic, there will hopefully be a member of the community come by soon to help out.

Let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
kesgreen
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but I was hoping that a VM technician might respond.
The galvanic isolator is on its way anyway. I'll update with results.
0 Kudos
kesgreen
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well, I can tell you that it does work although it has attenuated the signal to the point that I get sound dropouts of about a second or two every few minutes. I'm going to try amplifying the signal to compensate.

0 Kudos
Ferrim
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, how did you get on? I've just started to get a hum through my sub which wasn't there before. Where a outs do you live? I'm in Bromley, wondering wether it might be related
0 Kudos
kesgreen
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In Surrey.

The galvanic isolator worked fine, but attenuated the signal too much and caused droputs. An engineer came over and put a different isolator on the cable and changed the old box for a new Samsung one.

Problem solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ferrim wrote:
Hi, how did you get on? I've just started to get a hum through my sub which wasn't there before. Where a outs do you live? I'm in Bromley, wondering wether it might be related

A ground loop is very much a local issue so local that it occurs in your residence and is not area related

0 Kudos