Menu
poprock
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Future-proofing our house for multi-room

Hi there.

I only take broadband from Virgin at the moment, but am planning renovations and want to make sure I have wiring/cabling in place for any future upgrades to TV etc.

Right now, I just have the broadband cable coming in from the street that connects to my Virgin SuperHub. I use a separate standard TV aerial for Freeview.

If I ever add TV to my package, what cabling would change? Would there be a separate cable for the Virgin set-top box? Or does it run from the SuperHub (over Cat-5/6 cable, or Wi-Fi)?

And if I wanted to add a second Virgin set-top box in a bedroom? More cabling, run through from the living room (and SuperHub)? Or not?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Future-proofing our house for multi-room

My multi room is from the external box on the house.
So I had 1 connection already to the living room and then when asked to fit one in the bedroom it was more external cabling from that box outside to the nearest point to where I wanted the cable situated.
No extension off the existing box, nowhere near the hub that is in another room completely.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The TV and broadband cables are a single cable which is split in the most appropriate place for your topography. The landline cable is separate.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All VM TV boxes are connected to the same coax cable for Multiroom. All boxes receive the same live channels. Recordings from some (but by no means all) channels can be streamed between TiVO boxes via Ethernet. The same cable is also used to feed the broadband, but as I mentioned in post 3 above, the coax cabling is Virgin's property & customer alterations are not permitted due to the problems it can cause on the rest of the local network.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Alterations to the coax cabling & signal adjustments are all part of the install charge you pay. I always advise people to either leave floorboards up or install pull wires in any trunking for the installer to fit the correct cabling. VM installers should not be using anything other than the prescribed triple-screened coax to prevent noise ingress from terrestrial broadcast TV & Radio that VM shares frequencies with, so may indeed refuse to use yours.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
md009a3226
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, If I was renovating or building, I would try to make sure I could drop new cables into the rooms from a loft or other shared space. If you are determined to put in the cables not, then put in several cat6 and some fo the same coak that VM use... If you are being super prepared a pipe/chanel to allow new cables to an outlet is best as you just never know and it lets you drop in all sorts of other cables, like high quality audio or optical fibre - who knows... but at least several cat6 cables... you can always tie them off behind the wall and only socket them up when you need them...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

One small problem with the above is that the coax VM use is specially made, & cant be bought over the counter. Also the coax part in your house forms part of the local network, so any non-standard alterations you make are at risk of affecting your neighbours connections as well as your own. You can put trunking & pull wires in, but all cabling & connections must be done by VM. A standard install will only include wiring to the rented equipment being installed, not to "spare" points.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
poprock
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Okay, here’s a more basic question:

How are second boxes for multi-room connected?

Is it a split in the Virgin cable, with a cable run to the second room? Is it daisy-chained from the main Virgin set-top box? Or are they connected over Cat-5 from the SuperHub? Or are they connected via Wi-Fi nowadays, needing no cabling?
0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My multi room is from the external box on the house.
So I had 1 connection already to the living room and then when asked to fit one in the bedroom it was more external cabling from that box outside to the nearest point to where I wanted the cable situated.
No extension off the existing box, nowhere near the hub that is in another room completely.
0 Kudos
poprock
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So the cables for broadband and TV are completely separate? That’s good to know, for starters. And what is the TV cable? Same type as the broadband one?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The TV and broadband cables are a single cable which is split in the most appropriate place for your topography. The landline cable is separate.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All VM TV boxes are connected to the same coax cable for Multiroom. All boxes receive the same live channels. Recordings from some (but by no means all) channels can be streamed between TiVO boxes via Ethernet. The same cable is also used to feed the broadband, but as I mentioned in post 3 above, the coax cabling is Virgin's property & customer alterations are not permitted due to the problems it can cause on the rest of the local network.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
poprock
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Okay, thanks.

So … one coax cable, property of Virgin, comes into the house. There is a plastic junction box, fitted by Virgin, which takes the cable from outside and a coax cable from the junction box runs, at the moment, to my SuperHub.

If, in the future, I take TV from Virgin as well, and ask for two TV boxes (TiVo or not) in two rooms … Virgin would split that coax cable into three individual coax cables. One to my SuperHub and one to each TV box.

Is that correct?

And if, for the sake of argument, I had already installed Virgin-grade coax cable of my own under the floorboards and through the walls … Virgin’s installers would refuse to use that and would instead run their own cables externally. Is that right? So I would be wasting my time and money trying to do it neatly in advance?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Alterations to the coax cabling & signal adjustments are all part of the install charge you pay. I always advise people to either leave floorboards up or install pull wires in any trunking for the installer to fit the correct cabling. VM installers should not be using anything other than the prescribed triple-screened coax to prevent noise ingress from terrestrial broadcast TV & Radio that VM shares frequencies with, so may indeed refuse to use yours.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos