Menu
RyanC
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

From Sky to Virgin - worth it?

Ok, after hearing about Sky dropping the Discovery channels I thought I would look into changing from them to Virgin.

However, I read the community a bit and all I see are problems and complaints so am I jumping from the frying pan and into the fire?

What I am looking at (I am already with Virgin for BB but my customer area says I have to call to see what upgrades are available, all I want is a price!) is the Full House TV with an extra box & HD and continue with the Vivid 200 BB.

Had a look at the bundle creator on the VM website and that works out around (for new customers) 78 quid for the BB & TV plus 64 quid setup fee. If I am already with VM do I still have to pay the install fees?

Also, what is the TV service like - is it solid (on the whole?), is the recording of programs reliable etc?

I know I could ask the sales people but I think I would rather ask people who use the service to see what they think, probably get a more honest answer!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: From Sky to Virgin - worth it?

you looking on a support forum. this is where people come with problems you can;t judge the service from looking there.

That would be looking asking prisoners in a prison about crime and deciding that 100% of the are criminals.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The only way to get definate pricing is to ring (choose the option for Retentions option 4 then 5). If you have a Virgin landline or mobile the call is free (150), if not you will have to call the standard landline rate 0345 454 1111 number. Maximum discount is only available to customers that take all three services.

There is a self-install option available but only take this if the TV box is be installed next to your existing VM internet kit. If you want it installed elsewhere then a manned install is required, which is more expensive. There may also be an activation fee. If you opt for Full House TV you should get one of the new V6 boxes (VM's equivalent of Sky Q). The TV packages are very similar, with a few exceptions (no Sky Atlantic or ITV Encore, whom are exclusive to Sky).

I have been with cable since 1993 (had no end of problems with Sky back in analogue days) and apart from the odd hiccup the service is solid. If you are happy with the Broadband service you currently get, there is no reason you should have problems with TV.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Stellavision
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have a fresh move from Sky to Virgin booked but I must confess to getting cold feet and asking myself if I'm doing the right thing.

I've just recently found out that a) on-demand Sky Cinema movies are not all showing in HD. b) you cannot download any on-demand content.

These are quite big issues for me. That said the 200 mb broadband speeds are very attractive as is the two free V6 boxes when Sky are asking for silly up-front money for Sky Q boxes!

The pro's and cons for switching are killing me! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Stellavision wrote:

I have a fresh move from Sky to Virgin booked but I must confess to getting cold feet and asking myself if I'm doing the right thing.

I've just recently found out that a) on-demand Sky Cinema movies are not all showing in HD. b) you cannot download any on-demand content.

These are quite big issues for me. That said the 200 mb broadband speeds are very attractive as is the two free V6 boxes when Sky are asking for silly up-front money for Sky Q boxes!

The pro's and cons for switching are killing me! 

Sky has permission from the content owners to do this as many of their customers are still on slow ADSL connections that struggle to cope with live streaming. All VM's Broadband connections are high speed, plus the way most OD is transported to the customer is different to Sky (unique linear channels as opposed to a Broadband stream). 

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Stellavision
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I decided to keep my TV with Sky but was considering going with Virgin for just phone and broadband. After spending a very long time time to get through to pre-installs I was so frustrated that I cancelled the whole lot. The man on the other end of the phone tried to convince me to stay but was very rude and abrupt when I asked to just proceed with cancelling my install. He told me that this had been done but must have been humouring me because I found out today that my install was still booked and nothing noted on my account to cancel. Another 40 minutes of my life wasted today getting through to pre-installs and trying to get some one to just cancel my install (AGAIN!) I'm absolutely disgusted by this customer service and feel like I've had a lucky escape. I'm so angry, the VM complaints department will be hearing from me!

0 Kudos