Menu
Reply
  • 184
  • 4
  • 39
omendata
Superfast
1,646 Views
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Freeview / Freesat VS Virgin "M" Basic Package - No Contest!!!

Virgin have just dropped the Horror channel , CBS and others from its M package so Freeview and Freesat have more channels making the intro package a waste of time - check the channel lists -

Freeview has Movies for Men, Moviemix, Horror Channel, Quest and more its no longer viable to have the "M" package.

Just get yourself two DN370t talktalk boxes; £50 for both off ebay and you can have 4 channels recording at once and a faster system than the woeful old Tivo Box!

 

  • 8.39K
  • 534
  • 2.32K
Superuser
Superuser
1,634 Views
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview / Freesat VS Virgin "M" Basic Package - No Contest!!!

There IS no "M" package any more, silly.

Its "player" or "mix" - down with the kids y'all

But whilst I agree, its not news. Theres been no point in having the base TV offering from VM in quite a while, excepting the inclusion of a PVR. Which you can pick up cheap in any supermarket.

I suppose the one case that's not true is if you dont have the option of a free-view aerial.

 

 

 


0 Kudos
Reply
  • 10.43K
  • 1.04K
  • 1.95K
Superuser
Superuser
1,615 Views
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview / Freesat VS Virgin "M" Basic Package - No Contest!!!


omendata wrote:

Virgin have just dropped the Horror channel , CBS and others from its M package so Freeview and Freesat have more channels making the intro package a waste of time - check the channel lists -

Freeview has Movies for Men, Moviemix, Horror Channel, Quest and more its no longer viable to have the "M" package.

Just get yourself two DN370t talktalk boxes; £50 for both off ebay and you can have 4 channels recording at once and a faster system than the woeful old Tivo Box!

 


The thing to remember with Virgin is your equipment is RENTED. With every other platform you are buying the box & have no further outlay unless the box goes bang just out of warranty. Virgin is also a pay platform, so channels like Horror can & do take advantage of this & opt for higher packs which they can use as an income via the subscription.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 184
  • 4
  • 39
omendata
Superfast
1,588 Views
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview / Freesat VS Virgin "M" Basic Package - No Contest!!!

For some of us it will always be NTL and the "M" package.

lol

Changing the name and they think that makes a difference lol
Oh i am down with more than the kids i may be over 40 but i still like to go climbiing trees, spinning my wheels of steel playing hardcore techno n trance, i am just back from a month in the forest of Hurtgen metal detecting and camping and havent really grown up since i was 21.

If it wasnt for my girlfriend i would still be going clubbing and to Ibiza every year like i used to but she is 15 years younger than me and a bit boring that way!

At least you are honest and there is no point in having the "M" package!

For me I dont need "M" but the Tivo is by far the best for remote recording setup and the 3 tuners etc except for the slow response now its getting beyond a joke and the removal of channels you can get on freeview has really made my mind up to go broadband only or move to Talktalk now after 25 years of being with NTL - Very sad day! Ive been using it since it was NTL on a 56K Hayes Accura modem!

I also have freesat , freeview and the option of a c-line or using Kodi or the dark net p2 streams but i am not a tv addict and i dont really need more than "M".

Not all of us come in at night and just sit in front of the tv you know - not many of us but there are some who like to go hill walking, metal detecting and go for a jaunt down the coast or do a bit of car mechanics or electronics its what keeps you fit and alive!

It seems like you "kids y'al" just want to sit in front of the teev playing yer x-box and ps4 or playing with yer ipads and iphonies developing into fatties with Diabetes type II - As an ex bodybuilder i can still benchpress 200 pounds at my age and swim like a fish - how sad for you "kids y'al"!

>;o)

<< **************************** Life is for living - not sitting in front of the television ******************************** >>

 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.39K
  • 534
  • 2.32K
Superuser
Superuser
1,579 Views
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview / Freesat VS Virgin "M" Basic Package - No Contest!!!


omendata wrote:

For some of us it will always be NTL and the "M" package.

lol

Changing the name and they think that makes a difference lol
Oh i am down with more than the kids i may be over 40 but i still like to go climbiing trees, spinning my wheels of steel playing hardcore techno n trance, i am just back from a month in the forest of Hurtgen metal detecting and camping and havent really grown up since i was 21.

If it wasnt for my girlfriend i would still be going clubbing and to Ibiza every year like i used to but she is 15 years younger than me and a bit boring that way!

At least you are honest and there is no point in having the "M" package!

For me I dont need "M" but the Tivo is by far the best for remote recording setup and the 3 tuners etc except for the slow response now its getting beyond a joke and the removal of channels you can get on freeview has really made my mind up to go broadband only or move to Talktalk now after 25 years of being with NTL - Very sad day! Ive been using it since it was NTL on a 56K Hayes Accura modem!

I also have freesat , freeview and the option of a c-line or using Kodi or the dark net p2 streams but i am not a tv addict and i dont really need more than "M".

Not all of us come in at night and just sit in front of the tv you know - not many of us but there are some who like to go hill walking, metal detecting and go for a jaunt down the coast or do a bit of car mechanics or electronics its what keeps you fit and alive!

It seems like you "kids y'al" just want to sit in front of the teev playing yer x-box and ps4 or playing with yer ipads and iphonies developing into fatties with Diabetes type II - As an ex bodybuilder i can still benchpress 200 pounds at my age and swim like a fish - how sad for you "kids y'al"!

>;o)

<< **************************** Life is for living - not sitting in front of the television ******************************** >>

 


I really dont get what that was about. I was agreeing with you that the base package that VM offer is little better and in some ways worse than free-view. That in no way infers I have or want a higher package, or that I sit in front of the telly. In fact I watch no live broadcast programs at all. I use TiVo and V6 to record programs I may want to watch and then watch them in my "down" time, late at night when I just need to veg out. . Ive got maybe 6 series links to collate shows I think look worthwhile.  Thats in between biking everywhere (I haven't driven a car in 3 years), working,  and taking my kids (5 of them) to the park, swimming, their mates house, the library, after school club..etc etc.... I dont need access to other services as...I dont watch much TV

 

 

 

 

 


0 Kudos
Reply
  • 184
  • 4
  • 39
omendata
Superfast
1,573 Views
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview / Freesat VS Virgin "M" Basic Package - No Contest!!!

The point that most people are missing is that you are paying for the "m" package and its got less channels than a simple freeview telly!
Many more channels less - Film4+1 , QUEST, movies for men , moviemix and cbs, horror channel (my fave) and over 10 others - to me thats a helluva difference i dunno about you!
So it is worse value and Virgin are just taking the jimmy riddle - its the Tivo part that cost the dosh!

Ah the vagaries and wrongly taken replies on social media and forums eh

I wasnt criticising you at all i was merely having a laugh at all those so serious "kids y'al" who spend all of their time in front of the tivo etc as you inferred i was an auld fairte by not using Player instead of "m" - people often take offence at the smallest things on social media you have to be careful how you take the jimmy riddle dude! If you wanna be facetious you should expect a facetious reply!

Plus you do spend an inordinate amount of time on here - over 6000 replies man thats heavy dude real heavy i never even racked that amount up over on sysopt.com in the 5 years i was on it or even the sci fi forum or technoir so i take it from that you are in front of yer pc a lot - social engineering - the more you put on the internet the more people can build a profile of you!

Chill anyway dude and relax yer sphincter!
Social media and forums etc really do waste your time and cause so much stress and hassle over mistakenly taken comments and replies dontya think!

Sometimes i wonder if its worth it - i often ask myself why do i try and help people out for nowt!

I just repaired my neighbours plasma telly for free last year and it took me over a week to get the parts and diagnose the x-sus fault and he never even sent me a christmas card - people eh!

PS. GOOD FOR YOU - i am a fellow cyclist - Droop handle Racer as auld fairtes used to call em - im afraid though no mountain bikes for me!
5 Kids wow thats some serious stress i can only imagine in my worst nightmares! lol

Keep the heid!

>;o)

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.39K
  • 534
  • 2.32K
Superuser
Superuser
1,516 Views
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview / Freesat VS Virgin "M" Basic Package - No Contest!!!

Well we shall never speak again as I own 3 mountain bikes Smiley Tongue

Pretty easy to rack up that number of posts if you multitask. I spend maybe an hour a day between here, several other forums (fora?) and learning new skills. I do all my own bike maintenance now, from a base of zero knowledge, Im getting into rebuilds now. Buy a decent frame and fit custom parts, HOPEFULLY soon have the facility to do my own spraying. I build by own mods for vaping mostly thanks to Youtube. Do most of my shopping online - wasn't in a physical store in the run up to Christmas except for a few groceries. And I build PC's/ HTPC.

As for social engineering, with you on that. But its fairly easy to wreck profiling if you know what your at.

 


0 Kudos
Reply
  • 184
  • 4
  • 39
omendata
Superfast
1,500 Views
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview / Freesat VS Virgin "M" Basic Package - No Contest!!!

Thats true , i am a 90 year old lesbian living in Poland in most of my social media profiles lol

I am more into building kit cars and keeping my Lotus , Rover and other assorted cars from rusting and falling to bits!
As a network security engineer i am more into my Cisco networks at home - both of them - very sad and my rack of servers.
The girlfriend had to buy ear plugs as she goes to bed early - Nothing like the sound of 3 Dell 2950 S3 Vmware eSX Servers firing up at 11pm.LOL

>;o)

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.07K
  • 69
  • 181
arrgee1991
Knows their stuff
1,492 Views
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview / Freesat VS Virgin "M" Basic Package - No Contest!!!


Kippies wrote:

Theres been no point in having the base TV offering from VM in quite a while, excepting the inclusion of a PVR.

 


The reason I have the base TV package is to add Sky Sports/Movies and Premier Sports as and when required without having to get 100s of other channels I will never watch.  The effective cost of this is about £5/month which as you say gives you a PVR to record sports.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 184
  • 4
  • 39
omendata
Superfast
1,459 Views
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freeview / Freesat VS Virgin "M" Basic Package - No Contest!!!

I think I may have found a good replacement for the Tivo using my FREESAT dish.

Humax HDR-1100S 500GB Freesat HD Digital TV Recorder.

No more slow tivo box, no more high bills and telephone i dont need.

I wish one day line rental and these standing charges get removed from Electricity , Gas and phone bills they are remnants from the past

and just an excuse for Virgin and others to pile on more debt whilst providing less of a service every year!

It has what i need and thats remote record and control of the box if I am at home in Slovakia or here in the sad old UK.

Would like to see if the menu system and app are as good as NTL Tivo before i buy so maybe pop into RICHER SOUNDS listening room or maybe ARGOS to

get a hang for it!

 

0 Kudos
Reply