Menu
Andrew151
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Freesports TV channel

Anyone know the latest on this channel coming to Virgin Media? I've just read that from Feb they're going to show British Wrestling as it tours the UK.
Please let this channel be available!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freesports TV channel

The rumour is that Freesports weren't prepared to pay the going rate to join the platform. You will just have to keep your fingers crossed & hope they change their minds, if that is the case.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the problem with freesports is that like many minority channels it is done on the cheap. i think talking pictures only has three people doing everything.

i don't think it is a case of simply changing their minds but more 'can we afford it yet'. they still have issues with freeview, i have hardly seen it advertised so am not expecting to see it on virgin anytime this year if at all.
0 Kudos
VMViewer
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Where channels that are available on Freeview and Freesat are deemed to have a sufficient quantity of quality programming Virgin Media should ensure that these channels are available, even if this means reducing the cost of carriage. This is important as paying customers should not be denided access to basic channels that viewers on other platforms get for free. That said, most of the time this does eventually seem to happen, but it can take months... if not years.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VMViewer wrote:

Where channels that are available on Freeview and Freesat are deemed to have a sufficient quantity of quality programming Virgin Media should ensure that these channels are available, even if this means reducing the cost of carriage. This is important as paying customers should not be denided access to basic channels that viewers on other platforms get for free. That said, most of the time this does eventually seem to happen, but it can take months... if not years.

The only way this will happen is if the regulator enforces it, which it won't. Its a commercial, competitive market, & their view is if you don't like the choice you change provider. I can see the "must carry" rule being removed from all the PSB channels soon, & with ITV wanting to charge providers like VM for carrying ITV1 on a pay platform you could even see that being removed from VM's basic pack.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Andrew151
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for the replies. I might have to plug a free view box into the kids TV to get it. It is a pain when not all platforms have the same channels, but this is the first time I've been stuck with a channel that I've wanted which isn't available on VM.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Andrew151 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I might have to plug a free view box into the kids TV to get it. It is a pain when not all platforms have the same channels, but this is the first time I've been stuck with a channel that I've wanted which isn't available on VM.

Likewise. With me the total is 4 channels missing. I bought a cheap Freesat receiver & dish a couple of years ago to supplement the channels I can't get (I can't get Freesports on Freeview either, as its only available to 75% of the UK).

0 Kudos