Menu
Lawrencium
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

English Only Subtitles

Why are subtitles only available in English despite having other language options in settings? I need French subtitles and I've selected this and followed the instructions but all subtitles are still in English on normal channels, HD channels and on recorded programmes.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: English Only Subtitles

The multi language facility may be available on the box, but the broadcaster has to provide the subtitles in that language for them to be available to you. So if subtitles are not available in that language, they default to what is available.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I guess it's down to what the broadcaster supplies.

0 Kudos
Lawrencium
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your information I have found no channels broadcasting subtitles in any other language.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Lawrencium
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, would appear I'm not alone although a minority. I've sent some emails to broadcasters asking for a resolution and happy to post the replies. In the meantime I'll continue to translate Coronation Street and Eastenders as best I can.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You will probably have an uphill battle. English subtitles have to be provided for a set percentage of programmes under OFCOM rules to provision for deaf or hard of hearing people, so the broadcasters are effectively forced to provision these at their own expence as part of their broadcast licence. I can't see this happening for foreign languages as the production costs would rocket, as all languages would have to be treated equally.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos