Menu
fastjohnbee
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ESPN

I would like to get ESPN so I can watch baseball, but I can not tell how to manage that.  All I seem to be able to do is get a big upgrade which ups the monthly cost a lot, and I don't want higher speed, or sky, or more phone options.  Just baseball.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: ESPN

There are 2 ways to get (I will use the correct name now, as ESPN UK no longer exists) BT Sport ESPN. One is to take XL TV (included in Big Kahuna & Big Daddy bundles). The other is to add the BT Sports channels separately to one of the lower packs, which is I believe now £18 a month.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

But you can't just get Baseball as Virgin/BT don't want to sell you bits of a package

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Looks like you can subscribe online legally from the UK to this site

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/

0 Kudos
fastjohnbee
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks for the replies.  It is a pity that Virginmedia do not offer individual channels for, say £5 per month each.

I have had a look at MLB.com and can not work out how to get it on my TV.  It says it is available on Panasonic Viera but does not say how to do it.  But somebody in my family will know how to work my TV better than I do.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Most broadcasters will only allow channels to be taken in pre determined bundles, so Virgin's hands are tied as to what they can offer customers.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
ajvega
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Make sure you read carefully on MLB.com before getting it. I was thinking of getting the NFL package for the upcoming season as it would seem more viable for watching my team each week than taking Sky Sports and only being able to watch what they show. But after I read on for a while any game that is aired in the UK is blacked out (including the Superbowl) so if I wanted to watch all the Seahawks regular season games, playoffs and superbowl I would have to get the NFL pass and sky sports Smiley Indifferent. As for getting it on your TV on my Samsung Smart TV it was in the app store on the tv. Pretty sure it would be the same.

AMD Phenom II 1090T x6 @ 4.0GHz
Asus Crosshair IV Formula mobo
8gb Corsair XMS3 DDR 3
Corsair F60 60gb SSD (Operating)
Nvidia Gforce GTX 960
0 Kudos
fastjohnbee
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks very much for the helpful reply.

0 Kudos
pd53
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry going off-topic, but regarding NFL, the UK Game Pass they provide does blackout the live Sky game at 6pm and 9pm, but I think the late night Thursday, Sunday and Monday games, as well as Thanksgiving games, are not blacked out.
It also doesn't include the play-off games, but the Superbowl is usually live on BBC or Channel 4, so you'll be able to watch that ok.

http://gamepassuk.support.nfl.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&SPSID=670896&SPID=110701&DB_OEM_ID=22900&ATCLID=...
0 Kudos
pd53
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

John, re: Panasonic Viera, do you have a smart tv button on your remote, or any way to access apps.  I'm guessing the MLB Tv app will be there.

Other option if you have a smart phone or tablet and a Google Chromecast dongle I think you can 'chromecast' the game from the MLB TV app on your mobile device to your TV.

0 Kudos