Menu
iain151
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Does the virgin box only produce 2.1 sound ?

Hi does the virgin tivo box only produce 2.1 sound ? I have a 5.1 sound system and three speakers don't work with it yet work with my dvd player, cheers , signed getting old and not so technically minded Iain 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Does the virgin box only produce 2.1 sound ?

Hi Iain

the Tivo can output Dolby Digital surround sound via the HDMI cable, if the box is setup to do this (see instructions HERE) and the channel is broadcasting with surround sound which I think is only HD channels at present.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

iain151 wrote:

Thanks , I will give it a go. I'm only using a scart at the moment will try with an hdmi cable

SCART doesn't carry 5.1 sound, so that will be the problem!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Iain

the Tivo can output Dolby Digital surround sound via the HDMI cable, if the box is setup to do this (see instructions HERE) and the channel is broadcasting with surround sound which I think is only HD channels at present.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It did work with the optical out until it was broken last year.
We have ben told it should be fixed later this year but nothing in writing from any VM source.
0 Kudos
iain151
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks , I will give it a go. I'm only using a scart at the moment will try with an hdmi cable

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

iain151 wrote:

SCART doesn't carry 5.1 sound, so that will be the problem!