Menu
djharris
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone know if VM is getting the new AMC Global channel?

Does anyone know if VM is getting the new AMC Global channel?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does anyone know if VM is getting the new AMC Global channel?

Well BT are making a big noise about having it and using the word "exclusive", so I'd say the answer is "No" I'm afraid - at least for the next few years that the exclusivity contract with BT will probably cover.

Shame, because I fancied seeing "Fear The Walking Dead" (and probably some of the other stuff that'll be on there).

Keith

Signature 16-12-24 (forum size).png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

BT are playing down suggestions that they are talking to Virgin about a carriage deal.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/fear-the-walking-dead-bt-plays-down-talk-of-a-deal-with-virgin-media/

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Parkesy71
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think I'll end up leaving Virgin I thought they would have had Atlantic by now and now another decent channel we'll miss out on
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Parkesy71 wrote:
I think I'll end up leaving Virgin I thought they would have had Atlantic by now and now another decent channel we'll miss out on

We dont have Atlantic because Sky wont wholesale it, except through Now TV, which they have a stake in.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
lindzi
Dialled in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Fear the walking dead is on you tube and appears to be the full episode.

Bt sport doesn't interest me but AMC, spike and atlantic do. maybe get Now tv and Netflix and be done with it. Oh i don't know....virgin just seem to be very disappointing over the last few years, and have been left behind on the tv side of things but still charge as if they are the ducks doodahs. I have read the other threads about it being a closed platform but it still annoys me that friends with sky have channels i have no hope in getting.....and i am not allowed a dish as live in leasehold property.

I will stop the moaning now ;-)
0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I agree that VM is falling behind in quality channels but this partly down to the regulatory regime we have in the UK.

We are supposed to have a competitive market  which is supposed to give choice  and keep prices down. What we actually have is a fractured market  where prices are high and different factions are allowed to keep golden nuggets to themselves.

This is bad for us, the consumers and counter to what the market is expected to do

What is required is a proper wholesale market where channels  can be acquired by any platform at the same price

This would also probably require SKY to be split into two separate companies  the box/satellite infrastructure company and the TV production company.

Competition would then come from choice of platform and how the TV platforms package the channels and price them

will it happen?; certainly not under this Murdoch influenced Government, but eventually it must otherwise we consumers  will be paying higher prices for a dwindling set of quality channels, because instead of one platform  we will need two or three to to get the viewing experience we want

Oh and the grass is not always greener on the other side Now TV suffers  buffering and outages too, its app is flaky and the box UI, although improved can be buggy.

lindzi
Dialled in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

barrylowry wrote:

I agree that VM is falling behind in quality channels but this partly down to the regulatory regime we have in the UK.

We are supposed to have a competitive market  which is supposed to give choice  and keep prices down. What we actually have is a fractured market  where prices are high and different factions are allowed to keep golden nuggets to themselves.

This is bad for us, the consumers and counter to what the market is expected to do

What is required is a proper wholesale market where channels  can be acquired by any platform at the same price

This would also probably require SKY to be split into two separate companies  the box/satellite infrastructure company and the TV production company.

Competition would then come from choice of platform and how the TV platforms package the channels and price them

will it happen?; certainly not under this Murdoch influenced Government, but eventually it must otherwise we consumers  will be paying higher prices for a dwindling set of quality channels, because instead of one platform  we will need two or three to to get the viewing experience we want

Oh and the grass is not always greener on the other side Now TV suffers  buffering and outages too, its app is flaky and the box UI, although improved can be buggy.

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply and I agree with all your points on the issue. it's a shame that things are the way they are, and Virgin customers seem to miss out in most cases.

My bill is huge for the XL package (somewhat my error in not renegotiating) and it irritates me that new channels are going elsewhere or are allowed to be exclusive to one platform. You are right in your thoughts that we are 'paying for a dwindling set of channels for a higher price' and no end to this is in sight.

I have not tried Now TV yet but it may be worth a shot if it has box sets of the Sky Atlantic series that I am wanting to watch available on it? The buffering though could tip me over the edge! Maybe I need to get out more!!

0 Kudos
dave42
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I should think they're probably talking to BT about it- if it's anything like BT Sport they'll deny all knowledge until the last minute and then quietly announce it so as not to overshadow BT's advertising.

If there isn't a carriage deal, I hope they have subscriptions available through some sort of app though knowing what Sky does with not being able to just subscribe to Sky Atlantic through Now TV it'll probably end in having to pay for BT Sport twice, annoyingly!

0 Kudos
doc1964
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I signed up to Now tv recently and watch it more than i watch virgin.

I have mates rates on the VIP package and still pay about £105 a month with more rises to come.

I am getting to the point where i will drop virgin and just keep internet.

It also annoys the hell out of me that with most packages you have to take a phone line when the only calls i now get on a landline are nuisance ones.

A cheap internet package, Now tv and the pub for the occasional football match i want is getting closer.

0 Kudos