Menu
davidrobertwood
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do I need multi room?

Trying to sort a virgin package for my mum. Will she need multi room to be able to view TV in 2 different rooms? She would never need to watch different programmes as she lived alone, just wants TV in lounge and bedroom. She has moved in to a house where previous occupants had virgin.
Would she need any special adapters or cabling?
Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do I need multi room?

Long HDMI cable with a splitter would do the trick. The only problem you have is routing the cable. Wireless senders are available, but the ones that work from HDMI are horrendously expensive.

Multiroom on a new package adds £7.50 to your monthly bill. There will also be an installation charge for the required VM network feed, & also activation charges for the second box.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

to use VM multiroom you need 2 boxes one in each room. you have some other options but they are not as simple. you could (if the rooms are close enough) run a HDMI cable between the rooms and get a HDMI splitter
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

does she really need Virgin TV on both. We have a bedroom TV but just use it for Freeview. ( with a Humax PVR for recordings)

the Tivo is only on the downstairs TV

it is an extra fee every month to have 2 or more Virgin boxes so you need to ask yourself is it worth it. and also how good is your freeview reception and where do you have roof aerial sockets

Freesat is another option, there is a one- off installation fee but then no monthly charge for the basic channels

the cable 2 TVs to one box idea has flaws- unless your mum is handy with apps, she'd have to physically walk to where the tivo is and aim the remote in order to change channel....

and hiding HDMI cables so that it cannot be tripped over may not be simple.You can buy flat cables nowadays which might work under carpets but there are still the large plugs at each end to contend with.  you are advised not to place any sharp 90 degree bands in such cables as you can easily damage them

davidrobertwood
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, should have mentioned that freeview reception is very poor where she lives. She would need to spend £350+ on an aerial which is why we are considering virgin.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

a good quality roof aerial install should be £150 not £350

http://quotationcheck.com/typical-costprice-install-new-tv-aerial/

On average the aerial installation cost is £185.00 but see the table below for specific regions:

Then price up freesat

http://www.freesat.co.uk/help/get-freesat/prices/installation

standard dish installation with two feeds to your box, (which allows you to record one channel while watching another), is normally £94.99. Installing a dish with a single satellite feed (for basic Freesat boxes that don't record) is usually £74.99.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The price guide shown for Freeview is for a STANDARD setup of mast & low/mid gain yagi. Look at the aerials aloft around you. If they are of wildly differing sizes then there are some rip-off merchants on the go. If they are ALL big, on long masts with pre-amp boxes attached then the estimate of £350 is quite possible.

Freesat certainly does not have this problem, as long as you have clear line of sight to the south east. You are also going to need a set top box, of which there are now only 3 on offer, 2 with large recording HDD's & requiring 2 feeds to the dish. The quoted cost is also a little optimistic. Certainly in the London area the standard install costs for dish, quad LNB & twin feed is around £120 - £140 now from an accredited CAI+ installer.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

davidrobertwood wrote:
Trying to sort a virgin package for my mum. Will she need multi room to be able to view TV in 2 different rooms? She would never need to watch different programmes as she lived alone, just wants TV in lounge and bedroom. She has moved in to a house where previous occupants had virgin.
Would she need any special adapters or cabling?
Thanks

As a leftfield solution, get a couple of Amazon Fire sticks and basic 50mbps broadband.   Install TV Player on the Fire Sticks and you can stream most freeview channels along with Amazon Video, iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, 5OD, UK Play TV etc.  And get a couple of Roku sticks to get Now TV, Netflix and Google Play.  Now TV/Netflix/Amazon are the ultimate multiroom as you can be in two entirely diiferent locations.  I share Now and Amazon with my father who lives 4 miles away. but he could live 400 miles away up in Aberdeen.

Not sure how old your mother is, but my 74 year old father has this sort of set up and gets on fine with it.  Too well, as he is always watching the bl**dy TV according to my mother!

cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

that is not quite true

you cannot stream any LIVE ITV on a fire stick - you can on roku, but the FIre ITV Hub app is a catch up only offering and is a horrible experience, as are the channel 4 and 5 apps. ad invested, slow, Sd only

The only TV app that works well and that even attempts HD is BBC i-player, & that is only 720p....  

...  the puerile excuse from ITV, for no live streams, is well you clearly have a tv already.... ITV hub is broken on Fire tablets also. unless you don't mind the audio being 1 minute ahead of or behind the picture ( I forget which ) 

so it's aerial or satellite if you want all the freeview channels to be both reliable and good quality - or a monthly fee to Virgin. There's NOW Tv but that's probably no cheaper than, and not as good as, another Virgin box

I have not specifically tested the TV player app but I don't see that making things better,

if ITV / 4 / 5 will not provide a HD stream to  begin with, and will force up to  3 minutes of adverts at the front of each session there's not much a 3rd party alpp can do about that.

arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

that is not quite true

you cannot stream any LIVE ITV on a fire stick - 

It is true.  You can stream live ITV via TV player.

From their website.

Watch live TV from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five, Dave and other UK channels on TVPlayer online for FREE.

0 Kudos