Menu
kirk1690
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Discovery Channels

With the news sky are dropping 12 channels on Feb 1st what is virgins current position with Discovery .

I'm thinking mainly of eurosport ,my old mum loves her sport especially tennis so virgin could pick up a few subscribers here .

If this happens I'll definitely be ditching mums sky and ordering vip package .

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Discovery Channels

Don't worry @kirk1690!

There's no need to panic. The Discovery channels (including your mum's favourite Eurosport) aren't going anywhere.

There's a bit more about this on our Discovery Channel news article

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The good news is :

1) Discovery group has a seperate agreement with VM on carriage of its channels. The HD versions are fed direct to VM's main headend, so it would be simple to add the SD versions currently recieved via the Sky (Astra) satellites.

2) The channels are owned by Liberty Media, part of the same group as VM's owners (Liberty Global).

I have got to say, the likelyhood is it will not happen. We have been here many times before with Sky having disputes with channels. If there is a "Blackout" on Sky it does not normally last long. Virgin have done this with the Sky channels in the past. As you say, Sky would lose a lot of viewers if they were to do this.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't worry @kirk1690!

There's no need to panic. The Discovery channels (including your mum's favourite Eurosport) aren't going anywhere.

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

James_W wrote:

Don't worry @kirk1690!

They might be going somewhere, as the OP has stated her mother is currently a Sky customer.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
HavencroftKev
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Maybe Virgin could negotiate with Sky so VM customers could get Sky Atlantic? 

I also hope Liberty give VM customers access to F1 now  Liberty own it.

0 Kudos