Menu
bertie_B
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Deleting multiple Series+ Links

anyone know a way to either a) set automatic removal of a series link, once the series has finished or b) mark multiple "completed" series links for mass removal ? thanks Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deleting multiple Series+ Links

Not necessary with TiVo.

It is a feature of TiVo software that series links are multi-series. When one series is complete, the series link will catch the program when the next series starts.

0 Kudos
bertie_B
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

don't agree with "not necessary" - what if its a single series ? what if you dont want to see "additional future series" ? this should be an option to chose !! So - the answer is then, not there is no way to remove multiple "spent" series links?? dreadful piece of software
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK, instead of trying to be helpful, I'll give you the answer you don't want to hear. Each series link has to be individually deleted.

I can tell you how to delete ALL series links.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm not aware of any PVR that has that option.

The assumption built into PVRs is that if you set up a show link then you'll want to record it until you tell the box otherwise. The whole idea is set and forget. In fact there would be complaints if you could set an expiry as people would probably not notice that it had expired until a new season started and it didn't record as expected. This has previously happened when the shows change channels.

You can always cancel the Series Link from the My Shows folders or Explore This Show screens. So you don't have to go through the whole Series Link list to find the ones you want to stop - you can find it via the screens where you're accessing the episodes.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

bertie_B wrote:
don't agree with "not necessary" - what if its a single series ? what if you dont want to see "additional future series" ? this should be an option to chose !! So - the answer is then, not there is no way to remove multiple "spent" series links?? dreadful piece of software

Well, you just have to remove them individually, it's not a huge amount of effort for something that it seems like you'd rarely want to do. If I remember correctly it would simply be a case of selecting the series link and then clicking the delete option within it, so the number of clicks could be reduced slightly by allowing the clear button to remove a series link like it does for recordings but you'd still need to go into the series link manager and find the one you wanted to delete.

TBH though, I can only recall a few occasions where I've wanted to remove a link anyway, so a couple of extra button presses is hardly a big deal, doesn't really make it a "dreadful piece of software", especially compared to Sky's version where it forgets series links after each series and you have to set them up again every time (if you're lucky enough to notice that the series has returned). 

bertie_B
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

not a lot of effort ?      ................  in a month or so my wife probably sets 50+ series links  -  thats the point isnt it ? to be able to set multiple recordings when you're out/working away......which we are, a lot........ and whats the point of keeping a series link ?  just because you watched series 1 why the assumption you want series 2 or 3 or n ,  even if there is one ?   that IS just lazy programing   

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would say the default assumption would be that if you record one series of a program that you would want to record any following series, unless of course you decide you don't like the program in which case you're probably likely to want to delete the series link before the current series has finished anyway.

The point of keeping the series link is that you don't miss the next series when it restarts, without that feature you have to keep checking the TV guide to see if anything you watch has restarted, which considering the number of channels these days is a pretty big task. I currently have SkyQ which doesn't (reliably) remember series links and I've missed several new series of programs that I would actually have liked to have seen.

I also find it hard to believe that anyone is setting 50+ series links per month for programs they don't want to keep watching. At that rate you're pretty much going to run out of programs to even set links for within a few months.

I think I had somewhere between 50 and 100 series links on my TiVo in total and in the 6 or 7 so years I had it, I only remember deleting a handful of links. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

bertie_B wrote:

not a lot of effort ?      ................  in a month or so my wife probably sets 50+ series links  -  thats the point isnt it ? to be able to set multiple recordings when you're out/working away......which we are, a lot........ and whats the point of keeping a series link ?  just because you watched series 1 why the assumption you want series 2 or 3 or n ,  even if there is one ?   that IS just lazy programing   

One of the best features of the Tivo/V6 is it's ability to retain series links over multiple seasons and be saved the hastle of keep setting them up again, and if you're away a lot the feature becomes even more useful as you're likely to be away and miss the chance to set the series link if you have to add them again every year, it's actually harder to set it up to record multiple season then it is for single seasons that's why the older boxes didn't generally do it 

0 Kudos