Menu
mjapps
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Damaged Tivo box reboot cycle - replace?

I recently dropped my Tivo box partway down the stairs while moving it into my new bedroom and it's stuck in a boot cycle, so I will probably need to buy a replacement (if I can't get it working again). How do I go about doing so? I assume I will have to pay for the old box as well, which I have disconnected for the time being. Can't get anywhere on the phone as I can't seem to find the right option.

Our broadband speed is ostensibly going up from 60 to 150 meg later this month and we're on the Full House XL package, so I would like to go for the V6 box if that's possible. If not, a 1TB replacement would do. The hard drive on the old one was VERY noisy (to the point where I thought it was failing, and the box was getting VERY warm) - have there been any improvements in this regard since the SMT-C7100?

Many thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damaged Tivo box reboot cycle - replace?

Fist of all I would suggest not mentioning the damage caused by yourself, otherwise you may get a charge. The Tivo smt-c7100 is the same model they still use unless you decide to upgrade to a v6
0 Kudos
mjapps
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There's no explaining the damage away - no kids in the house, or anything - so I will just eat the charge.

Any idea what sort of money I'd be looking at for new box + charge for old?
Would this 150 meg upgrade allow for a V6? Our package isn't the "VIVID" one
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You can move to the big kahuna 200meg and get a v6 at the same time, to upgrade to a v6 it will be £65
0 Kudos
mjapps
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't pay the bill, so upgrading the broadband is definitely not an option. If I wait for the free 150 upgrade, is the V6 viable?
0 Kudos
mjapps
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How do I get my foot in the door with regard to having a box replaced? I won't mention the damage unless asked in case they don't ask for the old one back.

Is there a direct number for this kind of thing? Or a path through customer service?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ring up and report a TV fault, given that's what you have Smiley Wink

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
mjapps
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I tried that and got to the point where they wanted to do a service check, which would have been pointless because the duff box isn't connected (and didn't get a signal when it did; the LED cycle never included a "heart" light; just power, reds and a blue).

Shall I reconnect it and let them do the check anyway?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yup, they have a script to follow. Try it now - they should be open until midnight.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
mjapps
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's not going to send me to Bombay at the end, is it...Smiley Sad.
0 Kudos