Menu
bachoo786
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Connecting ethernet box to the internet

Hi

I have plugged an ethernet cable to my Tivo Box from my superhub 2 and wanted to connect it to the internet. Nothing is happening and I have tried scanning my network for an ip address for my tivo box but to no joy.

Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting ethernet box to the internet

TiVO boxes don't connect to the internet via the Ethernet socket. They have their own internal internet modem for the sole use of the built in apps. The Ethernet socket provides connectivity via your network to another TiVO box for multiroom streaming, & to use a mobile or tablet as a remote control. It has no other use.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
bachoo786
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

How do I use my mobile as a remote control?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

bachoo786 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

How do I use my mobile as a remote control?

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
bachoo786
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have followed the link and I experience the same issue. The tivo box wont connect to the internet to allow me to use the remote control function on the tv anywhere app. I have have checked the ip address of my tivo box under settings->network-> and it gives me 2 weird ip addresses one is of a cable modem and the other is of the ethernet but it starts with 169.254.XX.XX whereas I was expecting it to start with 192.168.XX.XX. 

Can the VM team help or check my tivo box please? or do I have to call an engineer to get it checked and fix the problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You need to change a setting on your TiVo to allow it to get an address from DHCP and then your router will assign an address on your home network, 192.168.0.xx
0 Kudos
bachoo786
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

How do I do that?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I don't have a TiVo in front of me but it's in the same part of the TiVo menu system that you found the wrong IP address.

0 Kudos
bachoo786
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I tried doing that but it says on the tivo box “there is a problem with your network router (N02). Your tivo box was unable to connect to the DNCP server to obtain a network address."

Any idea with that?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Possible cable problem? Try a different Ethernet cable between the TiVo and Superhub 2.

Try a different Ethernet port in the Superhub 2.

Your Superhub 2 is in Router Mode and you don't have your own router?

Try re-booting your Superhub 2 and your TiVo.

0 Kudos