Menu
Mick821
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Coax connection

Hi I'm lookin to get virign installed, I live in a new build property and virign was supposedly already connected. The cables can be seen entering my house however who ever fitted the sockets has put a blank plate over the virign coax socket. As all my sockets are chrome I was thinkin I could just purchase a coax socket to match the rest of my house. Will the virgin engineer be able to use the socket I purchase and hook this up to the wire coming in to the house. I took a picture of the wire however I don't think I can add it to this forum. I'm certain it is the virign connection though
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Coax connection

you can post photos, click the photos icon above where you type.

Virgin don't fit "sockets" though, they bring in  cable(s) which insert directly into Tivo or Hub or telephone sockets as needed. They mount a small white internal box where the cable(s) enter the property. maybe someone has removed that & fitted a flush cover.

pictures will certainly help.

maybe there's a different system for new build properties with pre-laid cabling

Mick821
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

20160826_190845_resized.jpg

20160826_190835_resized.jpg

0 Kudos
Mick821
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

20160826_201844_resized_1.jpg

0 Kudos
Mick821
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've now attached photographs of the cable coming in to my house, an the cable behind the blank plate. All other houses on.y new estate have a brown box covering the wires coming in to the house so I don't know why my house doesn't have it. Is it just a case of me having a coax socket fitted thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You mustn't be connected direct onto the network. Everywhere the cable enters the house a safety isolator must be fitted, which prevents Virgin's equipment (& yours) potentially being fried by voltage spikes coming down the network cable. Isolator boxes are normally fitted in a white box on the inside wall.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

yes, I am pretty sure that when they install, you'll have another isolator box on the inside of he house, attached to those cables. an inside cable will run out of that box to your hub or TV

I think they come in white, white or white., there's no chrome option

update: I don't understand why in your picture the cover is not covering the outside cable  and why the cables look unprotected? ( unless you moved the cover to take the picture ? )

outside should have a box - brown or white-  and any cable going underground should be in a hard protective and waterproof sheath.

inside then has a separate white covered box

Mick821
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I know I don't know what's happened as I say my house is a new build I'm assuming they must of only half installed the wires and forgot to finish the job. There is no brown box covering wires which all my neighbouring houses have got and there is also no white box inside just the wires curled round behind a blank plate. Hopefully when I get the engineers out to install my new virgin media it's an easy job for them to sort...
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

in the last ( = highest up the thread) picture you have a white cover, but you have wires coming out of the ground  near to the cover , not under it - that's the puzzling one. did you move that cover to take the picture, or is it covering some different wires for something else ?

0 Kudos
Mick821
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No mate that's covering other wires all the other houses have that also. I think that is covering BT wires as there a T on the protector. I honestly think it's half a job...
0 Kudos