Menu
kjskot
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Channels

Hi

New to this forum.

I have Virgin Broadband and phone, and have had for years. I'm thinking of switching my TV from Sky and taking the "Big Kahuna" package. VM site says I'll get 230 channels.

Simple question.

How do I get a list of the 230 channels. It seems that it's a closely guarded secret on VM's website. If trawl around the site, I can get a list of 40 or 50 channels. How do I get to find out what the other 180 are. VM's site just seems to want me to sign up, but if the channels I want are not there, it will be too late to withdraw. Anyone got a list or a link to where I can check?

Many Thanks.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Channels

https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/VirginMediaTVChannelGuide.pdf

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is also this page http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/watch/intro.html
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

kjskot wrote:

Thanks, Frank.

Of course, these are short term contracts - never thought of that.

I'll see what's on offer with Retentions and decide if I'll stay with Sky TV - I'll be staying with VM for broadband anyway, so it's only the TV that's at stake.

As you have probably gathered from this thread, some prior research makes you better prepared when you phone. And, only phone retentions, anywhere else is a waste of time and might even get you a bad deal.

Apart from one occasion I have always got a good response from retentions. On the occasion I didn't I just put the phone down and called back a couple of days later and got the result I wanted.

Finally, remember to ask for confirmation, either by email or letter and, if nothing received well within your 14 day cooling-off period, phone back to confirm your deal was implemented as agreed.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/VirginMediaTVChannelGuide.pdf

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

kjskot
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Many Thanks for your efforts both of you. Never occurred to me to Google it - Doh!. Still, there SHOULD be a link to that page from the "Compare" page. Why so secretive, Virgin?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is also this page http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/watch/intro.html
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
kjskot
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'd already seen that but couldn't count 230 channels.

The thing has proved academic, however, since I just logged in as myself instead of a "stranger" and found that the price for the Big Kahuna package has rocketed from £72 per month with 200Mb BB after the half price offer,  to £103 per month with only 100Mb BB for me when it knows who I am.

Needless to say, I'll be staying with Sky, but thanks to everyone for your help.

BTW what happened to History HD and C& I HD - both conspicuous by their absence from the channel list! but available on Sky. My wife's favourites, (who watches SD TV any more?) and a deal breaker for us, irrespective of the rip off charges for loyal customers as opposed to new customers.

0 Kudos
gregory8391
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As you have broadband and phone with Virgin why not phone retentions to see if they can do you a deal. Tell them you want Big Kahuna and see if they can persuade you to take that rather than you leave and get a Sky package with tv, broadband and phone?

kjskot
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Gregory, I think I'll do just that. I don't hold out a lot of hope, but it's worth a punt. Pity we have to go to these lengths to get a decent deal, though.

I just wonder what happens to the new customer, who gets the deal at £72. Does he keep that price forever, or will they jack his price up annually, faster than the rest of us, until he catches us up?

What a tangled web they weave...

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

kjskot wrote:

Thanks, Gregory, I think I'll do just that. I don't hold out a lot of hope, but it's worth a punt. Pity we have to go to these lengths to get a decent deal, though.

I just wonder what happens to the new customer, who gets the deal at £72. Does he keep that price forever, or will they jack his price up annually, faster than the rest of us, until he catches us up?

What a tangled web they weave...

It is quite straightforward. The new customer initially gets a reduced deal, but usually only for a portion of their original contract and then pays the full price for the remainder. Once the original contract finishes it is up to them, cancel and go somewhere else, carry on paying the full price or negotiate a new contract at a better price via Retentions.

I do the latter each year.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
kjskot
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Frank.

Of course, these are short term contracts - never thought of that.

I'll see what's on offer with Retentions and decide if I'll stay with Sky TV - I'll be staying with VM for broadband anyway, so it's only the TV that's at stake.

0 Kudos