Menu
Reply
  • 40
  • 0
  • 9
DreamRJ
Dialled in
951 Views
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Channels That Should Be On Virgin Media!!!!!!

Hi all, also to Virgin Media Elite.....

I wanted to make a thread on here to highlight what channels should be on virgin media.

It has been a long time since there has been any new channels to the virgin media tv network.

Channels list that should be on virgin media are below:

AMC

AMC HD

ABC

ABC HD

ABC NEWS

Tru Tv

Tru Tv HD

CNN HD

RT & RT HD

Movies4Men & Sony Channel & all variants

True Movies 2 & all variants

More Foreign channels, also TV5 Monde is free air on sky. so it should be the same on virgin too. the only way to get TV5 monde on virgin is on TV XL, this channel should be FREE..

I mean it is shocking that these above channels are still not on virgin when most of them are on freeview and sky platform.

I really hope that Virgin Media Elite see this and reply and start adding these above channels to the network. If anyone wants to add more channels that is not listed in this above list, feel free to post and say which channels too.

Thanks

DreamRJ

  • 8.23K
  • 512
  • 2.26K
Superuser
Superuser
943 Views
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels That Should Be On Virgin Media!!!!!!

As VM is a closed platform and every channel added costs money (and bandwidth) , its not as simple as just "adding channels" Each current channel will either make or cost VM money. The net cost is reflected in your monthly subscription.

SO I suppose the relevant question is- in an ideal world where "Virgin Elite" could add channels at will, not subject to (as some you have mentioned are) exclusivity to other providers, what increase per month would you be prepared to pay?

£30?

£50?

More?

 


0 Kudos
Reply
  • 4.28K
  • 102
  • 1.14K
frank_gm
Community elder
938 Views
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels That Should Be On Virgin Media!!!!!!


Kippies wrote:

As VM is a closed platform and every channel added costs money (and bandwidth) , its not as simple as just "adding channels" Each current channel will either make or cost VM money. The net cost is reflected in your monthly subscription.

SO I suppose the relevant question is- in an ideal world where "Virgin Elite" could add channels at will, not subject to (as some you have mentioned are) exclusivity to other providers, what increase per month would you be prepared to pay?

£30?

£50?

More?

 


Personally I wouldn't pay anything for most of the channels quoted .

 

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 977
  • 68
  • 168
arrgee1991
Well-informed
934 Views
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels That Should Be On Virgin Media!!!!!!

RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 - I never understood why you can watch BBC, ITV,  Channel 4 and Channel 5 in Éire, yet none of these channels are available in England.  I appreciate there is considerable overlap in the programming and they would probably block the live football and GAA, but there are plenty of things that I would like to watch.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 10.12K
  • 1K
  • 1.87K
Superuser
Superuser
922 Views
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels That Should Be On Virgin Media!!!!!!

AMC has an exclusive deal with BT, & will not appear on any other platform. Yes, it is available on the UK satellite platform, but it is subscribed directly through BT, & not part of any Sky packages. Sky don't own the satellites, so anyone can use them.

Disney is also heavily involved with Sky, so may be the reason their channels don't appear elsewhere.

CNN HD has yet to officially launch in the UK. There are currently test broadcasts on satellite only.

SU1617jpeg.jpg


Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile


 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 10.12K
  • 1K
  • 1.87K
Superuser
Superuser
916 Views
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels That Should Be On Virgin Media!!!!!!


arrgee1991 wrote:

RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 - I never understood why you can watch BBC, ITV,  Channel 4 and Channel 5 in Éire, yet none of these channels are available in England.  I appreciate there is considerable overlap in the programming and they would probably block the live football and GAA, but there are plenty of things that I would like to watch.


Its partially due to rights, & partially due to licencing fees. RTE is also part funded by a public licence fee (as the BBC is). With RTE having a far smaller customer base, their income is far smaller than that of the BBC, so its not surprising that UK mainland Sky cards are blocked from these services. The BBC is probably not bothered, as the audience in Eire is small, & the restricted beam now being used on satellite means most of Europe is unable to receive BBC broadcasts despite them being FTA. Ulster TV is also about to launch an Eire variant that will include a lot of ITV networked output.

SU1617jpeg.jpg


Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile


 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 977
  • 68
  • 168
arrgee1991
Well-informed
909 Views
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels That Should Be On Virgin Media!!!!!!


nodrogd wrote:

arrgee1991 wrote:

RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 - I never understood why you can watch BBC, ITV,  Channel 4 and Channel 5 in Éire, yet none of these channels are available in England.  I appreciate there is considerable overlap in the programming and they would probably block the live football and GAA, but there are plenty of things that I would like to watch.


Its partially due to rights, & partially due to licencing fees. RTE is also part funded by a public licence fee (as the BBC is). With RTE having a far smaller customer base, their income is far smaller than that of the BBC, so its not surprising that UK mainland Sky cards are blocked from these services. The BBC is probably not bothered, as the audience in Eire is small, & the restricted beam now being used on satellite means most of Europe is unable to receive BBC broadcasts despite them being FTA. Ulster TV is also about to launch an Eire variant that will include a lot of ITV networked output.


Not very difficult to get an Irish Sky card.  Impossible to get it on Virgin.  

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 40
  • 0
  • 9
DreamRJ
Dialled in
902 Views
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels That Should Be On Virgin Media!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies, I understand most things you have said.

But take for example RT It seems that is available in NI Virgin Media already! So that is just another example, why do they just do it like that, why don't they roll the channel to the UK too, not just NI for example?

It just infuriates me that We pay such a huge cost for the tv service, yet we can easily get free access to channels via the internet. And there is also netflix, amazon, and others that have a wide selection of content from channels we do not even have on Virgin Or Sky for that matter.

I can totally understand that the channels would get *exclusive contracts* but why would they do that? it just doesn't make any sense, surely those channels would want to get on as many platforms as possible? It just doesn't make any logical sense in a business plan that they would launch a new channel and only launch it on 1 network, like for example ITV Encore is exclusive to Sky only. Which again just makes no logical sense?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.23K
  • 512
  • 2.26K
Superuser
Superuser
891 Views
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels That Should Be On Virgin Media!!!!!!

The premiership have mostly exclusive deals and seem to do alright...I think your business plan needs a re-work.

More is not necessarily better. We live in a capitalist economy, control supply and you can control your price. Ubiquitous things are cheap. Exclusive things are expensive. Welcome to the 21st century...

 

 


0 Kudos
Reply
  • 10.12K
  • 1K
  • 1.87K
Superuser
Superuser
881 Views
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels That Should Be On Virgin Media!!!!!!


DreamRJ wrote:

Thanks for all the replies, I understand most things you have said.

But take for example RT It seems that is available in NI Virgin Media already! So that is just another example, why do they just do it like that, why don't they roll the channel to the UK too, not just NI for example?

 


RT is available in the Irish Republic on Virgin Media Ireland (recently rebranded from UPC Cable), which is a totally separate company to Virgin Media UK. There are several major differences with the offerings from the two companies, & it will stay that way unless Virgins parent company, Liberty Global, decides to change it.

SU1617jpeg.jpg


Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile


 

0 Kudos
Reply