Menu
Jim166
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Channels Lost

I downgraded my TV package on the last but one price increase to the basic TV. I was only going to keep broadband but was talked into the lowering of the TV spec so the Tivo box would stay but the normal box in the bedroom would be disconnected. Today I have noticed the CBS channels have gone and the Horror channel. This makes the line-up inferior to Freeview and is annoying when the last day to cancel was yesterday due to the last price increase so Today the channels go and I cant do anything. Not a great way of keeping customers happy. Come June or whenever it is this time I will definitely be dropping the TV side, maybe the whole lot.

glenn1962
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channels Lost

Same here, they have moved along with 8 other channels that were free to air to the new "Player TV" package. Spend over an hour with a lovely lady doing diagnostics on the box only for her to say "i have just found a memo in my email telling me all about this". Asked to be put though to retention's and they didn't know anything about this too. After another 20 mins he came back to say sorry, this has only just happened today. I moved from the Sky 1 package to free-view after they asked what programs i watch with CBS being one of them and being told that would still be in my package. Anyway asked to cancel and was told i still have 10 months to run, but after saying VM has broken the contract by not telling me of the new changes he agreed to put £50 credit on my account and move me to the next tire "Player TV" at £4 extra a month. So when this contact is up they can have the box back and i will install free-view.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers
Magical1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

My TiVo box updated and reprogrammed itself early yesterday morning, I am on medium more TV package, many channels are now no longer included, moved to next package up.

I telephoned to register my dismay and advised the cs agent that it diminished value of the contract.

She said that they hadn't even been informed that it was happening and they only found out it had happened from the caller's like myself.

Really annoying as it has upset various series links that I was recording and now I shall never know what happens or the end of series I have been following unless I upgrade to a package that will cost me a small fortune and this so shortly after the huge price increase, the second this year.

I was advised in the terms and conditions that they reserve the right to change TV package channel content.

Well that might be ok legally and they may well be within their rights to do so but it doesn't endear a customer like myself to Virgin , who appear to feel free to treat customers in such a cavalier fashion.

It's very rude and extremely bad mannered .

Magical1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

When my contract end's in February I doubt if I shall be inclined to renew it.

glenn1962
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just reading the T&C'S 8-10 sound interesting, http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html

8. We may change, cancel or postpone any content or component part(s) of the television service without notice, but we will give you reasonable notice of any withdrawals and changes where it is possible to do so.

9. From time to time, we may let you try certain content for free or for no additional charge or provide value added content. We also have the right to withdraw such content at any time and without giving you notice.

10. If as a result of a withdrawal of content you will be receiving a cheaper Virgin Media package from the one you received immediately before the withdrawal, we will reduce the price you pay to the price of the new package.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers
Jim166
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I phoned retentions and have to wait until July to cancel or pay a £200plus penalty. Said it was abit rich me being able to cancel upto end of November and then taking away channels on Dec 1st. She didn't know which channels had gone but was checking as we spoke and said the channels were freebies for a limited time which has now ended and I should have known that. I was offered an upgrade to the next tier for £5 per month extra which I declined. It seems all the effort is going into attracting new customers, come July that's exactly what I will be to Virgins competitors. I have no ill feeling, always liked the company and its my own fault I did not vote with my feet earlier. No room for sentiment or loyalty anymore and the thing companies rely on more than anything else, inertia is something Im guilty of.

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The moral of the story here for Virgin is to stop doing promotions so that those on lower packages can get limited access to channels normally only available to those of us on higher packages and who therefore pay more for the privilege.

Every time a promotion comes to an end we have people complaining that they have "lost" channels. No, your bonus period has come to an end, something completely different.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Do you not negotiate, as a TV XL, sorry, Full House customer an appropriate discount for the period that the lower tier customers are getting our channels for nothing?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Do you not negotiate, as a TV XL, sorry, Full House customer an appropriate discount for the period that the lower tier customers are getting our channels for nothing?

If that was addressed to me Ernie then the answer is no, I avoid talking to VM as much as possible. Usually too much for my blood pressure.

The point was, as I am sure that you understand, that every time the promo channels are removed we have customers complaining about "lost" channels, rather than accepting that they had a bonus for a bit.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Jim166
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@frank gm. There is no moral to the story, you jumped in without knowing the facts. I was not aware that the channels were bonus channels, when I downgraded the package I was asked what channels I watched and was told they were included, I was not looking for a TV deal as I would have been happy to just have the bb and phone, I got talked into the TV package but in the end I accepted and that is down to me. I wasn't looking for anything free and downgraded from XL accordingly. My take is that whatever way I look at it the TV does not represent value for money for me. Im not having a pop at Virgin they are a commercial company in a commercial world, As a customer I was just relaying the circumstances I found myself in. Your comment gave me a smile however as a sanctimonious post is taken as just that.