Menu
butterfly-jo
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Catch up service frequently unavailable

I had a week off work this week and thought I could catch up on some programmes I wanted to watch.  Unfortunately Virgin Media had other ideas.  The catch-up service is frequently unavailable and everytime I try to watch something on Netflix it freezes after about an hour.  This has happened everyday this week.

I pay quite a lot each month for this service and also pay for Netflix and I expect to be able to watch programmes when I want to.  I understand that there are problems sometimes but this seems to be everyday.

I finally had enough today and tried to ring Virgin Media to complain but after pressing a few option buttons the line went dead.  I then logged into my account on line to try to find an email address to send a complaint to but there doesn't seem to be one.

I would welcome any feedback on this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Catch up service frequently unavailable

Hi butterfly-jo

Welcome to the Virgin Media Community, I'm really sorry to learn about the trouble you've had with your TV service lately, it's not what we want for you, especially if you planned to enjoy a nice week off work!

I've been able to locate your account and run some tests on the set top box from our end for you, we're not noticing any problems being detecting at the moment. 

Are you noticing this with any Catch Up service in particular? Are you also noticing this issue occur at certain times of the day? Lastly, were you able to get it working at all during the week?

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
butterfly-jo
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig,

There is no pattern to this.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  With the catch-up service - I can sometimes watch a programme and then try to select another afterwards and a message comes up saying 'catch-up service no available - try again later'.  This can happen any time and any day.

With Netflix, I can only watch about 45 minutes before it stops and then a message comes up saying that there is no connection and to try again later.  As you can imagine, this is very frustrating when you are trying to watch something.  I have now given up and watching Netflix through my ipad.  I feel very annoyed that I pay over £60 a month to Virgin Media and can't watch Netflix on my main television, Catch-up is very unreliable and I have a landline phone that I can't use because it crackles and also the number is unavailable to some parts of Bristol and possibly else where.  The phone problem has been going on for about 8 years and has been reported and supposedly fixed on countless occasions.  I have now given up on that.  But I am now seriously thinking about changing my service provider as I don't really know what I am paying all this money for.  It can't be anything to do with the broadband as I can watch all these programmes through my ipad but just not through the Virgin Tivo box.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi butterfly-jo

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm really sorry to learn about the continued issues you're experiencing with your TV and telephone service at the moment. 

I'd like to arrange for a member of the team to take a closer look if you're available. I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, you can view the message by clicking the red envelope on the top left of this page.

Sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused, we're looking forward to getting it sorted.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
butterfly-jo
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The engineer called yesterday and immediately spotted that there was a signal restricter on the TiVo box. He took this off and we thought that might be what the problem was. He said that if it was a problem with the box then Netflix and Catch-up wouldn't play at all. Due to the nature of the problem ie that Netflix buffers and stops after about 45minutes it was not possible to test this while he was there. However, later yesterday evening I tried to watch another episode of a series on Netflix and exactly the same thing happened. After about 45 minutes it stopped and a message appeared saying there was a problem with the Internet "please check your connection and try again".
This really is getting beyond a joke. I stayed in all yesterday afternoon (the engineer arrived just before 4pm stayed for 5 minutes as he thought he had fixed it). To top it all I received my bill yesterday for £61!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi butterfly-jo, 

Thanks for letting us know how the visit went. 

I've just replied to the PM you've sent me. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos