Menu
Ads_h13
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Catch up TV in HD

Installed TV XL today, went to catch up to download a few programmes that were on my previous SKY box but no option to "Watch" or "Download" in HD, specifically ITV Hub programmes....

Is this normal, have I missed something??
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Catch up TV in HD

I think only BBC has catch up in HD so yes that is normal for ITV which is why on the rare occasion I always record ITV and don't count on catch up as the quality of on demand of the other channels is awful
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As per the above, there is no option to download OD content on Virgin. You can only stream it.

The reason Sky & other providers offer a download option is so that customers with much slower ADSL connections can view the content without constant buffering.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Ads_h13
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Understand the non download, But why then can't you stream the majority of content in HD?? Seems odd that I have full HD package but pretty much all " Catch up content" is SD only.
#Disappointed
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

With the exception of BBC iPlayer content, which is delivered direct from the BBC's servers via the TiVO's internet modem, all other content is held on Virgin's own Headend servers. When an OD programme is requested, the programme is sent to the nearest street fibre node on a standard MPEG2 or MPEG4 broadcast stream, which is then only available to the TiVO initiating the request. There is only a finite amount of spectrum available for these streams, so if there is high demand for OD content in a local area, the system can become overloaded, especially with bandwidth hungry HD material. This may be one of the reasons there is less HD material available. The other may simply be the broadcasters themselves only releasing SD material to Virgin.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile