Menu
cookrm
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can Virgin TV cables be split with existing Sky cable to make use of existing interior cabling?

I wanted to know whether I can joint Virgin TV cable to existing Sky cabling in my house that runs under floor and into a wall point. The Sky cables run down the front exterior of my house and enter the property in the void (i.e. goes below the floor boards) and I was wondering if an engineer could cut the sky cable before it comes into the house and create a joint so both sky and virgin cables connect to the existing interior cabling. Wasn't sure if virgin TV cables and Sky tv cables are the same? Any advice appreciated. thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can Virgin TV cables be split with existing Sky cable to make use of existing interior cabling?

No. They are not the same spec. Virgin cables have to be triple screened, as they re-use terrestrial TV & DAB broadcast spectrum to carry VM's TV & Broadband signals, & must be immune to any external ingress. One installation alternative would be to use the existing cable as a "pull wire" to pull VM's cable through the void.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can Virgin TV cables be split with existing Sky cable to make use of existing interior cabling?

Should be no problem. A lot of people do this where they are making changes to their properties & want to hide cabling. Bear in mind that the installer will be on his own, so assistance from yourself would certainly be helpful.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No. They are not the same spec. Virgin cables have to be triple screened, as they re-use terrestrial TV & DAB broadcast spectrum to carry VM's TV & Broadband signals, & must be immune to any external ingress. One installation alternative would be to use the existing cable as a "pull wire" to pull VM's cable through the void.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
cookrm
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply nodrogd. Would a VM engineer be willing to pull cables through a wall and void (using the existing sky cables) or would I have to get an independent installer to do this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Should be no problem. A lot of people do this where they are making changes to their properties & want to hide cabling. Bear in mind that the installer will be on his own, so assistance from yourself would certainly be helpful.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A technician wouldn't do this for you incase the cables dont pull or snaps during the pull, he may assist you doing it though

0 Kudos
cookrm
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Engineer came to do the install and seemed put out when asked to do the cable pull. Didn't seem like he'd been trained to do this and he ended up losing the sky cable while attempting the pull through and not being able to install he virgin cable in its place. So ended up drilling hole in front wall and now we have a wire trailing across our lounge to where the tv is (running along the bottom of the coving), which doesn't look great. In hindsight I should have paid the extra to stay with sky
0 Kudos