Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I wirelessly link my upstairs 2nd Virgin box to its TV without an HDMI cable?

Ah. You have been given the only two solutions - very expensive and long HDMI cable.

0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 12 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I wirelessly link my upstairs 2nd Virgin box to its TV without an HDMI cable?

OK, thanks Ernie.

How long can an HDMI cable be before signal quality suffers?

0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 13 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I just thought...bearing in mind my upstairs Vbox is near a Cat6 point which physically connects to my WiFi router downstairs, is there a way of sending the HDMI signal down the Cat6 cable and then 'rebroadcasting' the signal to my upstairs TV over my WiFi?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 14 of 44
Flag for a moderator

If you install HDMI over Ethernet and it doesn't work, you are on your own as Virgin Media cannot help you.

Why can't you have the TiVo relocated next to the TV?

0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 15 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I can have the Vbox next to the TV, but as I stated in my opening post, I'm trying very hard to have a completely clear wall with just the TV hanging on it.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 16 of 44
Flag for a moderator

In your case, the relocation of the TiVo looks like the best solution. I really don't think that a 12-metre HDMI cable or HDMI over Ethernet are good options.

0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 17 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Unless anyone can come up with another workable solution, perhaps my best bet is to get a Cat6 cable up in the loft (re-route an existing unused one) and then run it down inside the TV wall, emerging in a Cat6 socket behind the TV.

And then get a pair of these: http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg03493/hdmi-over-cat5e-6-kit/dp/AV19971?CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOP...

Cheap, and should work?

0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 18 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Oh bugger, that needs TWO Cat6 cables to send one HDMI signal Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 19 of 44
Flag for a moderator

OK, so I have decided to re-route an unused Cat6 cable into the loft and down into the bedroom (emerging behind the TV). The cable terminates under the stairs, as do all the network cables from my other rooms. I'll just loop it with the Cat6 cable that goes to the lounge where the downstairsTV is, so effectively I'll have one Cat6 cable going directly from the source TiVo V6 box to the upstairs TV.

I'll have this at either end: http://cpc.farnell.com/labgear/hdx60p/hdmi-cat5e-6-7-extender-kit-poe/dp/AV26694?CMP=TREML007-005

The TX box of the pair has a breakout HDMI for the downstairs TV while sending the other half of the signal down the Cat6 cable. The RX box is in the bedroom and will feed the upstairs TV.

There is IR pass-through so that I can fully control the TiVo box with a 2nd remote upstairs.

The only hassle is having to re-route the Cat6 cable but that's probably 2hr's work.

So I won't actually get to use the 2nd Vbox but things are simpler and it's only me in the house so I don't need to worry about someone else wanting to watch something different on the downstairs TV.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 20 of 44
Flag for a moderator

The HDX60P will only carry 1080p signals and is HDMI 1.4 compliant. If you later install the Virgin Media V6 or SKY Q box, which both support HDMI 2.0 and carry 4K, then this product isn't suitable for 4K content.

0 Kudos