Menu
cerysmegan
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

BT sport 3 full screen option?

What is the virgin fix to remove the annoying banners and scrolling sports news that takes up a third of the screen on bt sport 3? If there isn't one, can virgin please sort one out? There are options for full screen for bt and sky customers.  Having just switched from sky  to virgin, I am finding that one of the sports channels I had planned to watch is unwatchable. Maybe I should have stayed with sky....

why bt would think anyone would want to watch a sports programme with three separate flashing banners and scrolling reports on screen, I have no idea. 

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT sport 3 full screen option?

nothing can be done. bt will currently only license bt sports 3 in that format on virgin. many before you have asked the same question. it is irritating though i agree with you there.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Another case of the channel owner is king & pulls the strings. And before you say "but Sky can do it", don't forget that Satellite is an open platform & BT is selling direct to customers with Sky boxes, so what you are getting on a Sky box is coming direct from BT & not re-sale through Sky.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

This drives me up the wall and I suspect that whoever manages this on BT is clueless about watching football.

I sit down to watch a delayed showing of a Bundesliga game on a Saturday evening, i.e. the first time BT have actually broadcast the game and, minutes in to a game, the full results appear on the left of my screen , including the game that they are showing delayed.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

This drives me up the wall and I suspect that whoever manages this on BT is clueless about watching football.

I sit down to watch a delayed showing of a Bundesliga game on a Saturday evening, i.e. the first time BT have actually broadcast the game and, minutes in to a game, the full results appear on the left of my screen , including the game that they are showing delayed.

The sooner BT stop doing sport the better.  UEFA will probably take Champions League off them after next season because of the poor viewing figures.  

0 Kudos
cerysmegan
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies. It's sad how the big service providers like to find annoying ways to provide a less good service to their rivals' customers.

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've noticed that live sports games on BT Sports 3 are full-screen, but any replays or feature-programs are the split-screen version.

0 Kudos
CarterMagna
Dialled in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I thought I would ask BT as I can't get any sense out of VM when I ask them on Twitter. If you're a fan of banging your head against a wall, please, enjoy the transcript!

Original Question: Why is BT Sports 3 limited to 3/4 of the screen via Virgin Media? It's extremely distracting trying to watch NBA Highlights or TUF with rolling football news and other completely unrelated content.

Adriza Chakraborty: Hello I’m Adriza Chakraborty, thank you for chatting with BT. I’m reading your enquiry, please give me a few moments I’ll be back soon. 
I may need to ask you for some further details, if you would like to use this time to grab the BT account number, the account holders full name, address and postcode that would be really helpful.

Adriza Chakraborty: Carter, Its sad to hear that BT Sports is coming in 3-4 screen. I will look into the account and check it for you. Can you please confirm the full name on the account? Are you the account holder? Can you please confirm the address with postcode?
 Carter: I am the account holder, I get BT Sports through Virgin Media. I want to know why we only get BT Sports 3 with the scrolling news and Football League table information.  
 Adriza Chakraborty: Thanks for that information.
I just checked it for you and can see that BT Sports 3 is currently available with scrolling news in this match. I would like to inform you that BT is not responsible with what is being shown in the channel. BT Is only the service provider and gives subscription. The content, schedule and what you will get in screen is decided by broadcasters of the match
 Carter: BT Sports are the broadcasters. of BT Sports 3. The same type of Ticker tape and league tables are displayed on BT Sports 3 whether it's an NBA replay, an episode of The Ultimate Fighter or a football match replay. Why is this and why is BT Sports 3 not available in Full Screen like it is for Sky customers? 
 Adriza Chakraborty: No, BT Sports only provides the channels. The contents are decided by broadcasters of the matches that are being telecasted. There should be an option through the TV to hide such information. Through BT TV youview box the option is there , and same should be with other providers too. BT only deals with BT Sports on BT TV and Sky. For other service providers like Plusnet, Virgin, Media, talk Talk, they themselves deal with BT Sports service and has not given legal rights to BT to deal. So, in this case, you need to get in touch with your service provider, Virgin Media as they can help you to hide those options
 Carter: That makes no sense.
 Adriza Chakraborty: I am afraid BT is not responsible for BT Sports with Virgin Media. So, you need to ask your own service provider that why they have not permitted to deal with BT Sports with Virgin Media. This is not BT's fault. You are not BT Sports in BT TV customer that BT will deal with it.

I am getting you connected to my supervisor

Soumya: Hello I’m Soumya, thank you for chatting with BT. I’m reading your enquiry, please give me a few moments I’ll be back soon. 
I may need to ask you for some further details, if you would like to use this time to grab the BT account number, the account holders full name, address and postcode that would be really helpful.
 Adriza Chakraborty has left the chat.
 Soumya: Carter I have checked and yes Adriza is correct there should be an option in the box and with which one has to hide such extra info on the channel. The channel content is same for all users .
 Carter: Not on Virgin Media there isn't. I'm asking why there is not an option for Virgin Media customers to view BT Sports 3 in Full Screen like Sky and BT can?
 Soumya: The content is same for all customers, now it is the respective provider who controls the resolution not the broadcaster . Contact Virgin media they will need to trouble shoot as this an issue on their end as they are the provider .
 Carter: I'm not talking about the resolution, I have the 3 BT Sports channels in HD, I'm talking about a large portion of the screen being given over to rolling news and football league tables. That's clearly a BT thing.
 Soumya: That is same for all customers and cannot be hidden but I will fill up a feedback on this .
 Carter: How is it the same for all customers when there is an option to have Full Screen for Sky and BT?
 Soumya: The option is through the box and the broadcast is same for all , that is what I mean.
 Carter: Right, so why haven't VM got this?
 Soumya: You need to contact VM about it , they must have a way to sort this out from their end.
 Carter: OK, please be sure to put on the feedback form how awful the non full screen version of BT Sports 3 is. It's a distracting mess and not everyone likes football. Thank you for your time.
 Soumya: Yes I will, and also do contact VM about this as they are supposed to fix this .
 Carter: That's good to know. 

Are Virgin supposed to have a fix for this? Seems odd to claim they do.

0 Kudos
CarterMagna
Dialled in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So BT said to check with VM and VM either realy don't want to answer the question or do not understand plain English:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

My understanding was that if a broadcaster wants an app or other on screen facility to work on TiVO firmware driven boxes then THEY have to provide the modifications at their own expence.

They have effectively done this with every other platform, but I have the feeling because VM's closed system doesn't allow them to control their own subscriptions they are not bothering to deal with it.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos