Menu
Paul_Smith
Superfast
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

BT Sports

Just reading on the news that BT Sports are going to charge £5 extra to have full access to there European football, anyone know if VM are going to pass this on to the customer ? Currently still have the full SS package so at present not paying for BT Sport.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BT Sports

The current deal with BT Sports on XL runs until the end of the next football season. This includes the existing 3 channels, plus associated Red Button streams. We will have to wait & see whether the new channel will be added on to this deal, or will be a seperate add-on.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The current deal with BT Sports on XL runs until the end of the next football season. This includes the existing 3 channels, plus associated Red Button streams. We will have to wait & see whether the new channel will be added on to this deal, or will be a seperate add-on.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I pay enough as an XL customer as well as sky sports. If we don't get it free I will not be forced into paying more. We pay enough as it is and virgin media should help their customers,especially the ones on the highest packages

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

More "help" is unlikely, as VM not only has to cough up to programme providers like BT for wholesaleing their channels, but has to run the network that feeds their boxes, & support the boxes themselves. VM got themselves a good deal with BT by holding out until the last minute, & offering entry to XL, which got the new BT channels advertisers an instant 3+ million potential viewers overnight.

It is quite possible the new channel will be an add-on. Its also quite possible the other channels could follow suit next year, although the uptake from Sky subscribers has not been as good as expected. However, the consensus of opinion is that if BT Sports does go subs only, the channel will be replaced on XL with Premier Sports, who have always wanted to join the pack if the offer on the table was good enough.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
rps1013
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

BT have now started broadcasting on the Sky platform additional channels which I presume is for the ability to split the additional programmes onto.

It remains to be seen if Virgin will do the same and carry them but I suspect it will be an eleventh hour decision again due contract negotiations.

Personally I would not like to pay additional subs for CL but I think it may happen. I am also very interested in whether a Sky Sports season ticket is on offer later in the summer. That I think would be a good offering again.

And before people start saying "virgin signed a deal to give BT sport for free on XL" this was only BT sport 1 and 2 which means there is nothing stopping BT moving some programmes on to an additional subscription stream.
0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully VM will show common sense again and provide us with the CL channels and do an amazing deal (free) for the XL customers who have sky sports, after all these customers pay an awful lot and the ones who like the sport

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

anthony_b wrote:

Hopefully VM will show common sense again and provide us with the CL channels and do an amazing deal (free) for the XL customers who have sky sports, after all these customers pay an awful lot and the ones who like the sport

It is hardly a case of "common sense" from VM, it will depend on whether or not BT is willing to offer the CL at a reasonable price and, given how much they paid for it and the fact it seems that they are going to be charging their own customers for it, they may want a decent price from VM.

As someone who pays for Sky Sports and watches football, I would hope that a good deal for CL and a repeat of the Season Ticket is in prospect but both BT and Sky will be wanting a return on their investment.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Unless I am wrong,with the present deal of BT sports,those who are on the XL package and with sky sports get BT sports with no extra cost

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

anthony_b wrote:

Unless I am wrong,with the present deal of BT sports,those who are on the XL package and with sky sports get BT sports with no extra cost

I am on XL and have Sky Sports but the latter is of no consequence with regards to BT Sports as you get it for free as long as you are on the XL package. 

However that deal, which lasts until the end of next season as far as I know, was based on the BT Sports 1, 2 and ESPN, which meant we got the Premiership games for free. It is more than likely that the the Champions League will not be covered by that deal, which was not in place during the last negotiations, and would involve a new deal.

I will be happy to be proved wrong but I suspect that I am not.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I think you are right,I am just asking virgin to do all they can and get the same deal and get us CL and give the customers who pay more (ie XL and sky sports) discounted prices or include it in our deal
0 Kudos