Menu
regentroad5
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BT Sport Showcase

The above channel has turned up on my Freeview options, and from what I have read, is there so that viewers can watch a number of Champions League games free of charge without having to incur pay tv charges......

https://recombu.com/digital/article/bt-sport-showcase-free-champions-league-freeview

So far, so good, but it doesn't look like this channel will be available on Virgin, so it will not be possible to pause the action if one wants to make a cup of tea or pop to the loo, which is a shame.

That said, i suppose it's good the provision for watching some matches on terrestrial free is still there, now that ITV no longer have them.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BT Sport Showcase

BT Sports Showcase is only licenced for terrestrial digital telly, not for satellite or cable. BT have an obligation to show some of the games on a free-to-air platform. These games will also be shown on the pay channels, so I would assume these games will be made available unencrypted at the time they take place on the satellite & cable platforms.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

BT Sports Showcase is only licenced for terrestrial digital telly, not for satellite or cable. BT have an obligation to show some of the games on a free-to-air platform. These games will also be shown on the pay channels, so I would assume these games will be made available unencrypted at the time they take place on the satellite & cable platforms.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Muppet2112
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Did I see that the Sky platform has this channel?  If so surely VM should be able to get it too

0 Kudos
pengedragon
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don't this is on sky but there is a free bt sport channel on 548, it showed the man united game last night
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

pengedragon wrote:
I don't this is on sky but there is a free bt sport channel on 548, it showed the man united game last night

Correct. We dont actually have "Showcase". As stated before, it is licenced only for DTT use. Virgin have simply created another feed of the BT Sport Europe channel, minus the encryption, which they can simulcast when there is a free event. The Sky feed on satellite is controlled by BT, so they can turn encryption on & off as they please to show free events without the need for an additional channel.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
Zack2015
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello hoping you can help me with something, I have all the BT sport channels on Virgin Media Box and also this 'BT sports Freeview' which is on 548 but it says the channel is not on air right now. Basically what I want to know is where do I watch Fear the walking dead because I keep seeing BT promoting it? Please help thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Zack2015 wrote:
Hello hoping you can help me with something, I have all the BT sport channels on Virgin Media Box and also this 'BT sports Freeview' which is on 548 but it says the channel is not on air right now. Basically what I want to know is where do I watch Fear the walking dead because I keep seeing BT promoting it? Please help thanks

You can't unless you get Sky with BT ports or get BT broadband with their set top box

0 Kudos
Zack2015
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ahhhh so that means basically we don't get it?! Thats rather stupid considering BT keep promoting it as 'exclusive to BT customers'
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Zack2015 wrote:
Ahhhh so that means basically we don't get it?! Thats rather stupid considering BT keep promoting it as 'exclusive to BT customers'

We are not BT customers. You pay your bill to Virgin for the channels. Customers with Sky boxes pay BT, & have a BT account number.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zack2015, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I can confirm that Feat the Walking Dead will be showing on BT's exclusive AMC channel. 

Virgin or Sky customers will not be able to view this channel. 

As mentioned by nodrogd, you're a Virgin Media customer so therefore the BT adverts wont apply to you. 

Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos