Menu
wokelly
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BBC iplayer service is terrible, and getting worse?

I have complained on this forum site about the iplayer content before and the Virgin people say it is all down to the BBC and, while the BBC avoid all communication on this issue, other participants have explained that the BBC removed their previously brilliant 'Series catchup' and 'HD' sections to make room for other whatever programs. Maybe I missed something, but there are no extra or better programs available that I can find? What I have noticed is that we now have two and even three versions of some shows - I assumed one would be HD but having scientifically researched several of these, the excellent Alaska documentary recently, I am certain there is no difference between the uploaded films. Without showing bias (I dislike soap operas and amateur singing contests) it seems that any 'premium' content is cynically rationed out in what can only be an attempt to discourage the usage of this service on Virgin... or incompetence. I have mentioned this before and was told to buy a V-box thing. Which is not actually the point. I sincerely believe the BBC are acting in this way to encourage use of their own internet iplayer service, especially in the cellphone format. My underlying complaint is that they are supposed to be non-commercial - we are paying for these services through license fees and taxes - they should be giving us the best service available - and with a smile on their overpaid (probably) faces. I also reckon Virgin should be doing more, or something, to improve these services - they used to be absolutely brilliant! Why is a service that increases in price every year actually down grading. C'mon BBC and Virgin... pull your fingers out!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BBC iplayer service is terrible, and getting worse?

wokelly wrote:

Well. Virgin should be looking to improve the service themselves. 

TiVo has just had the latest iPlayer update that brings it into line with almost all other versions of iPlayer including access to HD and 30 day content. It's this version of the iPlayer that the BBC will support in full.

The V box platform is too old to support this version of iPlayer, so has a reduced level of content, including no HD or 30 day content.

Because TiVo is a new version of the TV service, rather than a different version of a V box, it's an opt in service. However quite a lot of customers can upgrade for very little cost, and sometimes no additional cost at all.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Everything you get from the BBC, albeit through Virgin, comes out of the licence fee, which has been frozen at the same level since 2010. The BBC have ever since been making cuts to services, including what is provided to TV platforms. You will only get a selection of programmes on Virgins legacy boxes, as the TiVO is the only TV box with internet iPlayer connectivity. There are issues in some areas with the Broadband service that drives the TiVO's access to the iPlayer app. 

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
wokelly
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well. Virgin should be looking to improve the service themselves. I have no problem with the service: my TV stream and picture quality etc. is fantastic. I have been a long term cable customer - since 1990 - and I have no complaints about the service. Touch wood. My point - if you read the question - is that there are multiple programs on the iplayer and several repeats, some from years ago etc. while the HD versions of current shows are being left off. Their problem is not with cost it is with space (apparently) yet they have many programs doubled up etc. Your contention that it is reduction in spending does not make sense - the NUMBER of programs loaded has not changed it is the type of program that has changed. I stand by my point - the service is terrible. And it was not so until two years ago.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

wokelly wrote:

Apart from the fact that Virgin don't own the content to be able to offer it, the BBC do.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

wokelly wrote:

TiVo has just had the latest iPlayer update that brings it into line with almost all other versions of iPlayer including access to HD and 30 day content. It's this version of the iPlayer that the BBC will support in full.

The V box platform is too old to support this version of iPlayer, so has a reduced level of content, including no HD or 30 day content.

Because TiVo is a new version of the TV service, rather than a different version of a V box, it's an opt in service. However quite a lot of customers can upgrade for very little cost, and sometimes no additional cost at all.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
wokelly
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Now that is a HELPFUL reply. Your answer should be expanded and released as a statement on behalf of Virgin and the BBC. Cheers.

0 Kudos
wokelly
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am not suggesting that Virgin own the content. In any part of my message??? I AM suggesting that Virgin contact the BBC and between them improve the service. Ownership is not the issue? I have my answer below. You should read the posts using English and logic before replying.

0 Kudos
coypu
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This has been an on going issue for the last 2 years. I have had engineers out to check all my connections and equipment and they have found no fault.They have told me that there are issues in my area (Sandy Bedfordshire) regarding bbc iplayer and Netflix and soon every thing will be resolved when they upgrade their network equipment.

Every time I have complained about this issue I get fobbed off with the usual tech speak so I have now  purchased a  

NOW TV box in pure frustration with the VM service to watch bbc iplayer......and it plays FANTASTIC!!!!!!

If you watch a lot of iplayer I would advise getting one of the many streaming devices that are available......life's to short to be ars**g around.

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Toreador
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"However quite a lot of customers can upgrade for very little cost, and sometimes no additional cost at all."

When I enquired, it was an extra £20 per month. A lot of money to pay for a service (catch up) that I already pay for.

0 Kudos