Menu
Hoof_Hearted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer on the V+

I don't have a Tivo, just the V+. I must have had it ten years now, maybe more.

In that time I've seen the ITV version come online then a Channel 4's version, then Channel 5's version until today when even channels like UK Gold, Alibi and so on, even Watch, all have their own 'On Demand' player.  All these players, even the more recent, seem to get updated now and then.

What's more, with the iPlayer and all the other players, I can also get a version for them on my iMac, on my iPhone and on my Playstation 3.

The one thing that is is really noticeable is that, on all devices, they are regularly updated. In fact, the version of iPlayer now on all three of my devices mentioned above look nothing like it did even five years ago.

Not so on my V+. Completely different story.  I can't speak for ITV player and all the others because they are all comparatively recent entries and so far they all work fine. With iPlayer on my V+ however I can't remember the last time it got updated.

I feel that iPlayer for the V+ needs an overhaul, or at least a tinker with. This is because unlike all the other players on the V+ in my living room, iPlayer is really flakey these days.

I can of course view BBC programming on 'Catch Up' but, other than fast forward or rewind, I find when doing so iPlayer falls over rather a lot. For instance using 1 or 3 to skip by 10 minute steps can lead to loss of sound on playback. So one has to restart  iPlayer.  Other times just pausing playback for a short while causes the loss of sound when playback is restarted.

Just as often the loss of sound isn't the only problem.  On some occasions iPlayer makes the V+ reset itself. It can even shut my TV off when doing this. This is really annoying when a scheduled recording is taking place.

All the other players appear to be fine I note.

I wonder if any other V+ users are having trouble with BBC iPlayer?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BBC iPlayer on the V+

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Why-is-BBC-iPlayer-on-Virgin-V-box-so-poor-compared-wi...

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Why-is-BBC-iPlayer-on-Virgin-V-box-so-poor-compared-wi...

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Hoof_Hearted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Makes sense now.

I've a similar problem with my iPod Touch.  Never occurred to me that such a problem could happen to Virgin Media kit too. 

0 Kudos