Menu
sixfoottwo
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BBC Local Radio on Virgin

Do Virgin have any plans to add BBC local radio to their programmes?  DAB reception of Radio Manchester is poor where I live and would be a valuable bonus.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC Local Radio on Virgin

The BBC & Local Commercial stations were dropped when all the local network headends went Digital & stopped using local reception antennas. All the digital radio feeds you hear now on Virgin are recieived from satellite by the Master headend at Langley. No BBC local radio stations currently use satellite, except for BBC Radio London.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
sixfoottwo
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So much for the Northern Powerhouse then!

I will press Virgin and the BBC to improve this situation. Please help if you can.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unlikely the situation will change. I doubt that the BBC would pay to feed all 30 odd radio stations in at the SHE. They are on a huge cost cutting drive as it is. Also Virgin would have to pump all these stations around their internal network to the relevant regional & local switches at their own expence, as they receive no revenue from the BBC.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
sixfoottwo
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's very frustrating.  I only live 12 miles from Manchester, yet DAB reception is poor.  No problem with the national stations.  There is too much interference on FM as well.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have you got Freeview built into your TV?

Try channel 719.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Maybe an Internet capable radio may do the trick. Micky
0 Kudos