Menu
John1603
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

BBC Iplayer changes

I have a Sony Bravia TV KDL-42EX403 which from September 2016 will no longer be able to receive catch-up via BBC iPlayer. There are allegedly devices which I can buy to solve the problem but I cannot find definitive advice as to what will work. Any advice welcome.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Argy
Rising star
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BBC Iplayer changes

Ernie_C wrote:

John1603 wrote:

Thanks for that. I have been hunting on line and it seems that possibly the chromecast dongle and app would work. Does anyone know?

Yes Chromecast is a very good solution.

I agree, and is amazingly cheap, as long as you have an HDMI connection on the TV!

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Not a lot you can do except buy a new TV. There are many of the basic Freesat boxes, some still being sold in the big chains, that will lose iPlayer this September. If you have Virgin, the alternative is TiVO. Also some of the internet TV boxes provide iPlayer access.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked the BBC website where they do specify different devices that do work? 

As you are obviously a Virgin Media customer, the BBC advice is 

Virgin Media

Virgin Media customers can access BBC iPlayer via the red button. Virgin Media TiVo users can find BBC iPlayer either via the connected red button or the Apps and Games directory. If you are using the original set-top-box BBC iPlayer programmes are available in the ‘Catch up TV’ section. Within Virgin TIVO, you can also access BBC iPlayer by going left in the EPG and selecting content that is marked available for catch-up. 

If you want to use a different device, at the bottom of the page there is a section "Manufacturers".  Click on link (e.g Amazon) and then there is a list of what devices they know work, and what functionality is provided.

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
Flossy744
Superfast
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Argy wrote:

Have you checked the BBC website where they do specify different devices that do work? 

Virgin Media

Virgin Media customers can access BBC iPlayer via the red button. Virgin Media TiVo users can find BBC iPlayer either via the connected red button or the Apps and Games directory. If you are using the original set-top-box BBC iPlayer programmes are available in the ‘Catch up TV’ section. Within Virgin TIVO, you can also access BBC iPlayer by going left in the EPG and selecting content that is marked available for catch-up. 

If you want to use a different device, at the bottom of the page there is a section "Manufacturers".  Click on link (e.g Amazon) and then there is a list of what devices they know work, and what functionality is provided.

This is the first I have heard about BBCiplayer.

I am with Virginmedia and I have a set top box that just says Virginmedia   V  Box  HD  will I be able to use the BBC iplayer with that.

I have just been looking at the lists on the link you kindly added and it looks like the TV that has the V Box HD  would only work while we have a package,  on its own it does not have internet assess, our other TV only 8 months older in another room has internet but is to far away from the signal to work. What I'm trying to say if we didn't  have a package with Virgin or whoever then we would maybe swap the TV's over.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Flossy744 wrote:

Argy wrote:

Virgin Media

This is the first I have heard about BBCiplayer.

I am with Virginmedia and I have a set top box that just says Virginmedia   V  Box  HD  will I be able to use the BBC iplayer with that.

I have just been looking at the lists on the link you kindly added and it looks like the TV that has the V Box HD  would only work while we have a package,  on its own it does not have internet assess, our other TV only 8 months older in another room has internet but is to far away from the signal to work. What I'm trying to say if we didn't  have a package with Virgin or whoever then we would maybe swap the TV's over.

A basic 7 day BBC catch-up service is available on the legacy platform V boxes. This is accessed via Virgins linear TV servers, & not via the actual iPlayer. To get the iPlayer proper, you need TiVO.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

John1603
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. I have been hunting on line and it seems that possibly the chromecast dongle and app would work. Does anyone know?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

John1603 wrote:

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Flossy.  

This  was the first I had heard about the iPlayer as well.

This BBC page does show that only people with the old version software would be affected and also helpfully includes a screenshot of what the iplayer looks like if you are affected.

As for the TV that is too far away for the wifi signal, have you considered using Powerline adapters? For example, this TP-Link (there are other makes) will provide an Ethernet connection using your mains wiring, the pass-through plugs mean that you don't lose a plug socket ; around £30 should get you started. Some models can also provide wifi signals, if required.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ernie_C wrote:

John1603 wrote:

I agree, and is amazingly cheap, as long as you have an HDMI connection on the TV!

0 Kudos
John1603
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that

0 Kudos