Menu
brantome
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Analysis of TV watched

Can virginmedia supply me on request full details of the channels I've watched, and for how long, over the past year or so?  I've a suspicion I'm not really using TV xl sufficiently to justify the costs, and the imminent increase for bringing on board channels I won't watch (not in the least interested in sports) is giving me second thoughts...

Much the same for phone - given I'm on their mobile unlimited time, text and data, I'm wondering if I should cut back there too (plus all my nuisance, double glazing, boiler, home insulation, solar panels, windows technical support, free £8k government grant scam calls seem to be aimed at the landline, not mobile)

cheers

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Analysis of TV watched

nodrogd wrote:

Short answer. No. VM do not monitor your viewing habits, just as Sky & Freeview dont. Internet use is monitored due to current legislation, & at considerable expence to the ISP's.

Actually it depends on which TV box you're using:

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/privacy-policy.html

Information we collect

This is what we normally collect about you to help us provide you with our services, and improve them even more, where we can:

For our TiVo TV service:

Information about your usage and viewing, for example:

• The types of programmes you watch;
  • How you use the television services, e.g. pausing, fast-forwarding or rewinding programmes;
  • Whether you save programmes to watch later;
  • Whether you tend to skip the adverts, watch programmes on demand and your purchasing preferences for example, responding to advertisements or promotions.

nodrogd wrote:
But cable TV uses tuner based equipment would require "snooping" firmware to report back from the box. This would have to appear in Virgins T&C's to warn customers of its existance.

You mean like this:

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#resp...

G2.

By having the services provided by us installed in your home and/or by using them you are providing your consent to use your personal information together with other information for the following purposes:
     a. providing you with the services, service information and updates;
     b. administration, credit scoring, customer services, training;
     c. tracking use of our and Virgin Media Payments' services (including processing call, usage, billing, viewing and interactive data);
     d. profiling your usage and viewing (for example, the types of programmes you watch), how you use the television services (e.g. pausing, fast-forwarding or rewinding programmes, whether you save programmes to watch later, if you tend to skip the adverts, watch programmes on demand) and your purchasing preferences (for example, responding to advertisements or promotions);
     e. personalising your experience of the services based on your usage and viewing profile (for example, recommending programmes you might enjoy, or tailoring advertising contained within the services so that it corresponds with your likely interests); and
     f. improving and developing the services.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

brantome wrote:

Can virginmedia supply me on request full details of the channels I've watched, and for how long, over the past year or so?  I've a suspicion I'm not really using TV xl sufficiently to justify the costs, and the imminent increase for bringing on board channels I won't watch (not in the least interested in sports) is giving me second thoughts...

Much the same for phone - given I'm on their mobile unlimited time, text and data, I'm wondering if I should cut back there too (plus all my nuisance, double glazing, boiler, home insulation, solar panels, windows technical support, free £8k government grant scam calls seem to be aimed at the landline, not mobile)

cheers

Short answer. No. VM do not monitor your viewing habits, just as Sky & Freeview dont. Internet use is monitored due to current legislation, & at considerable expence to the ISP's.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
brantome
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

Are you speaking from a standpoint of knowledge or opinion? I certainly got the feeling that last time I spoke to Retentions, they had a very good idea of what channels I watched regularly. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they did to gauge what channels subscribers watched as part of market research and to see whether they should continue to lease/broadcast that channel. I was more wondering whether they'd release that info to subscribers on request

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i would say 0% chance of getting viewing habbits/channels watched, you could sign up to TPS this should almost stop all cold/marketting calls http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
brantome
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Already signed up to TPS and came back from a week's holiday to 31 missed calls, only two of which were genuine. Had two silent "International" calls today, and one from a "government dept" about clearing my debts. Occasionally entertain the Windows Technical Support calls though and waste 15mins of their time before letting on I'm a retired IT technical manager who can better interpret event manager entries than them...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

An IPTV based service would probably be able to montior your habits at source. But cable TV uses tuner based equipment would require "snooping" firmware to report back from the box. This would have to appear in Virgins T&C's to warn customers of its existance. This does happen with some SMART TV's though. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2737708/Is-smart-TV-SPYING-family-Investigation-revea...

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

nodrogd wrote:

Actually it depends on which TV box you're using:

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/privacy-policy.html

Information we collect

This is what we normally collect about you to help us provide you with our services, and improve them even more, where we can:

For our TiVo TV service:

Information about your usage and viewing, for example:

• The types of programmes you watch;
  • How you use the television services, e.g. pausing, fast-forwarding or rewinding programmes;
  • Whether you save programmes to watch later;
  • Whether you tend to skip the adverts, watch programmes on demand and your purchasing preferences for example, responding to advertisements or promotions.

nodrogd wrote:
But cable TV uses tuner based equipment would require "snooping" firmware to report back from the box. This would have to appear in Virgins T&C's to warn customers of its existance.

You mean like this:

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#resp...

G2.

By having the services provided by us installed in your home and/or by using them you are providing your consent to use your personal information together with other information for the following purposes:
     a. providing you with the services, service information and updates;
     b. administration, credit scoring, customer services, training;
     c. tracking use of our and Virgin Media Payments' services (including processing call, usage, billing, viewing and interactive data);
     d. profiling your usage and viewing (for example, the types of programmes you watch), how you use the television services (e.g. pausing, fast-forwarding or rewinding programmes, whether you save programmes to watch later, if you tend to skip the adverts, watch programmes on demand) and your purchasing preferences (for example, responding to advertisements or promotions);
     e. personalising your experience of the services based on your usage and viewing profile (for example, recommending programmes you might enjoy, or tailoring advertising contained within the services so that it corresponds with your likely interests); and
     f. improving and developing the services.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

e. personalising your experience of the services based on your usage and viewing profile (for example, recommending programmes you might enjoy, or tailoring advertising contained within the services so that it corresponds with your likely interests); 

Very interesting.  Only thing is I often just leave the TiVo on the last channel watched last thing at night (normally BBC1 after the local news) so that may not be so interesting.  Fortunately it isn't the adult preview channel :-)
I will be watching Sky Sports a lot this weekend prior to cancelling it on Wednesday when the international football and GAA hurling is over.  Maybe I will be made an offer I can't refuse based on my viewing profile. (hint hint)

To go back to the original point, I have had XL since the start of the football season, and aside from recording some football on BT Sport, which I never got around to watching before deleting, I haven't watched any of the extra channels.   Though now I will make a special effort to check the Sky Arts schedules.

0 Kudos