Menu
Hussaie
Joining in
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Am I allowed to use my V box in another property?

Hi,

Many grey areas around this and alot of forums and questions being answered regarding. From a legal point of view and fulfilling my contractual obligations as a customer what is the situation over this?

If I am a paying customer whereby I have to not give my pin out, I can have somebody to use my services with my permission in my property, if somebody I let in my property I allow them to use my pay per view service than I am fully liable to pay no question no doubt!! Right?

However if I were to take my v box to say to my dads or even uncles house who have just an internet service with Virgin what is my situation here, can I allow my parents to use my v box with my permission?

Do I have to have virgins permission to allow me to take my v box to another property?

This is not moving address this is about sharing to family and friends but I still pay my bill and still be liable for whatever they purchase etc with or without my permission.

Please somebody enlighten me here.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Am I allowed to use my V box in another property?

Under your contract you can only use your box at the address on your account. All Virgins boxes are tethered via their MAC addresses to the optical node that serves your property. If you connect the box to another optical node, this will be detected by the systems, & the viewing card in the box will be invalidated. If it is a recordable box, the recodings cannot be viewed wilthout being connected to Virgins network.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hussaie wrote:
If I am a paying customer whereby I have to not give my pin out, I can have somebody to use my services with my permission in my property, if somebody I let in my property I allow them to use my pay per view service than I am fully liable to pay no question no doubt!! Right?

Correct, anyone can watch your TV in your property if you allow them to.

Hussaie wrote:

However if I were to take my v box to say to my dads or even uncles house who have just an internet service with Virgin what is my situation here, can I allow my parents to use my v box with my permission?

Do I have to have virgins permission to allow me to take my v box to another property?

The terms and conditions of the Virgin Media service don't allow this.  You're not allowed to take the box out of your property and use it at another property.  Depending on how far away your relatives live it might not even work.  It's also possible that Virgin Media may notice that the box has been connected to a different part of the network and deactivate it.

0 Kudos
Hussaie
Joining in
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Yes but if I provide my dad or even a friend virgin tv anywhere then is that still breaking my terms and conditions? If it isnt then why can I not do the same with my v box? I still take cost responsibility as I am the bill payer. Just like you can link an additional box to my account why cant you link users? Especially when they are paying virgin customers? Virgin mobile to mobile is free? Why because both are paying virgin users. I believe if this is allowed then virgin will be different to the rest of the competition no one will be able to compete
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

TV anywhere is by its nature mobile, & the channels Virgin provides on the service have seperate agreement that they can be available via this means. That is why the channel selection on TVA is different. TVA is also only licenced for "personal" use. Sky have the same restrictions with their TV boxes, as people have in the past taken Sky multiroom, drilled a hole in their neighbours wall and "allowed" them permission to use their second box next door.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Hussaie
Joining in
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

But why can people who do not have virgin tv be allowed to watch on tv anywhere personal use or not? Your telling me it is okay for others who do not have a virgin account ? Secondly I am not wanting to abuse the system. I can prove to you that the people I will share with are virgin customers as they have broadband with virgin. Im not saying I am just sharing my box with random people. Exsisting virgin customers.... my family and friends.... mostly family.

Which is the only option I can share my tv and not have to open a new contract or pay extra on top of my package and box rentals?
0 Kudos
Hussaie
Joining in
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I always get upset over the amount of people who have these black market boxes like kodi xbmc etc...... I am essentially paying my services and in return the black market out there is really killing business like Virgin Media....

I think the only and best way around this if family and friends can enjoy virgin tv services without having to have a tv.... as long they are still paying virgin customers.

How we could be on top is to allow to link users up to 2 people per account or two properties. As long both properties are exsisting virgin customers but one has only broadband or phone services then the other user who has may share. However this can be monitored if you only allow it with virgin customers only and verify the properties or users added on to the tv users account.

I may well set up a petition around this because I feel in order to beat the black market this is one of the ways forward and I believe a lot of people will agree with me.
0 Kudos
Hussaie
Joining in
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I mean the box rental costs could be paid by the user linked to the bill payers account.
0 Kudos
Andrew-H
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

You have tv on your account (which you will be paying for). Your equipment is rented from virgin. Because you are renting the tv box, it is tied to your account. If your family had tv from virgin, they would have been supplied with a tv box (which they would be paying for). If you divulge login details and register devices for tv anywhere, then that is your choice.
As you say, piracy and streaming is bad for virgin, so the more people that pay for tv, the better.

These are just my opinions. Feel free to completely ignore my advice. The above message may contain sarcasm (if you can't find it, you're not looking hard enough)
Hussaie
Joining in
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

As you are saying as part of our contract we are also paying for the box right?

What I am trying to say is other users linked to.... just say my account can pay the rental for additional boxes. like I said they have to be virgin media customers already by taking out broadband and phone.

Let me give you an example:

I am a virgin tv customer with XL package who is paying £36 per month (as an example). I have my dad and brother who both are paying each for 100mbits broadband with weekend and evening calls including line rental. both live in different properties. Add my dad and brothers monthly costs at a total of lets say £44 per month. If virgin media allow me to share my tv with my dad and brother living at different properties, and they pay for additional  v hd boxes at £6.50 each thats a total of £93per month from all three of us. Plus I will be responsible for any additional costs such as pay per view or movies on demand etc. This also is a good way of getting families and friends into it and slowly the black market and pirates will die out. It will cost my dad to watch my channels at £6.50 extra a month as he will need an additional box. like you said we are renting the gear as part of our contract.

If only virgin media allow this.

This is what I am trying to get at? If only virgin media allow this it will be a win win for virgin customers and for virgin media. Backgrounds and system checks can be in place to ensure valid virgin media households.

0 Kudos