Menu
PetePete1969
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Additional Set Top Boxes

Hi, I've been a VM customer for 15 years at my current address a 5 years previous to that, I currently have a Tivo and V+ boxes installed and have just attempted to order an additional 2 HD boxes for additional rooms.

I have been on 3 separate phone calls to the call centre in Manila, I have explained that I do not require an engineer to install the boxes as I have installed the correct cabling myself, I'm an electrical engineer so I understand the importance of this, initially I was given an appointment for December 18th I negotiated the installation fees off of the deal but did state that a month is a long time to wait.

Further investigation of the VM website revealed that VM offer a DIY service where the boxes are dispatched via courier and installed yourself so I called back and was told (by someone in Manila) that my boxes would be delivered on Saturday, great I thought this didn't last long as 2 minutes later I received another call from Manila stating that they couldn't send the boxes by post and an engineer would now attend on 3rd December, so I've spent the last 20 minutes being talked over in typical customer services fashion.

Could someone on here clarify why this service is offered but can't be put into practice by VM's foreign call centres, I'm not paying the installation fee so that's not the reason and if their engineer doesn't like my brand of cabling he will have to replace it with his own at no extra cost just seems like a big waste of time on their part.

Thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Additional Set Top Boxes

I suspect that this has happened because the Virgin Media system does not know that you have additional, suitable outlets because you installed them.

It will also be necessary for Virgin Media to check that your additional cabling has not adversely affected your overall connection, requiring adjustments to be made outside your property at the cabinet.

IMHO It is correct and acceptable to require a manned install in your case.

0 Kudos
PetePete1969
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

HI thanks for your reply, I understand that most people DO require an engineer to carry out their install as they do not have the technical knowledge to carry out the install theirselves, but this is not the case it doesnt matter who installed the cabling, infact most new builds are equiped with a prewired system not installed by VM, why offer the DIY option on the website?

I bet you that when the engineer arrives he plugs in the boxes checks it works and walks away without climbing into the loft or lifting floorboards to inspect the installation.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Self-install packs are offered for 2 reasons. To swap one box with another (no additional cabling required), or to add a TV box to a broadband only installation (splitter & 2 x 3 metre coax cables provided in the pack). A major upgrade like you suggest is certainly not a DIY job, indeed if you are expanding to the maximum of 4 boxes allowed per account, there will be adjustments needed at the local cabinet level, & even possibly an HDU (amplifier) will be required within your property.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You may be correct but Virgin Media are right to want to ensure that your service and those of your neighbours' are functioning correctly and properly balanced on the network.

The self-install option is there for customers with connections already installed by Virgin Media. The order process investigates if this is the case and, as in your case, requires a manned install if no suitable existing connection is found.

0 Kudos
PetePete1969
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nodgrod it's not a major upgrade as you suggest just a couple of additional boxes, the cable install is complete just need the boxes plugged in.

As I said I don't expect the engineer will be installing an amplifier or fiddling with the road box opposite my house, I've already tested the installation by plugging one of my boxes into the new outlets and the service worked perfectly at both.

I can understand why you both have high ranking on this forum as you both seem to answer every post on here, productive answers only please not interested in responses which contain "in my opinion" I prefer to deal in the facts only, the Web page does not state that the DIY option is for set top upgrades or replacements it suggests it's for additional equipment.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PetePete1969 wrote:

I can understand why you both have high ranking on this forum as you both seem to answer every post on here, productive answers only please not interested in responses which contain "in my opinion" I prefer to deal in the facts only, the Web page does not state that the DIY option is for set top upgrades or replacements it suggests it's for additional equipment.

This comment is undeserved. This is a community forum essentially which is why people like I try to help.

0 Kudos
PetePete1969
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You seem to be missing the point of my post, my observations were

1. The website indicates that you can DIY install equipment, it's not specific about what qualifies for this service so it is fair to assume that it is perfect for my requirements.

2. VM quoting a month to send an engineer to install

3. Being incorrectly informed on 2nd phone call that the equipment would be delivered in 3 days, then 3rd phone call stating something completely different

4. Having to deal with call centres in Manila where the the people you are talking to are searching for a response to your questions and can't quote correct and accurate answers.

As stated I have been a customer to this service for 20 years, mostly satisfied with the services despite paying a fortune monthly.

I don't expect shoddy customer service with incorrect information being quoted by the website or by telephone, Seeing as you and the other guy decided not to pick up on these points and decided to quote your opinion regarding installation, not fact, my response also as a member of this forum that I don't have to accept your opinion and will continue to question why, in this instance VM have failed.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

However, the website does tell you to check existing outlets but it does not say that you can install your own additional outlets.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PetePete1969 wrote:

Nodgrod it's not a major upgrade as you suggest just a couple of additional boxes, the cable install is complete just need the boxes plugged in.

As I said I don't expect the engineer will be installing an amplifier or fiddling with the road box opposite my house, I've already tested the installation by plugging one of my boxes into the new outlets and the service worked perfectly at both.

As you seem to consider yourself an expert in Rf cable technology & the DOCSIS systems that Virgin use, you will fully understand that adding a further 10-13dB loss to your drop line by plugging all 4 boxes together could cause significant issues. I spent several years in the aerial industry working with domestic & commercial TV & Radio installations, but I certainly don't consider even that experience qualifies me to mess with Virgin's Rf network.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos