Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6 (196 Views)

Adding TV Package V6 Box to existing Hub - TV not in same room as Hub

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've just ordered a TV package to be added to my existing Broadband and phone setup. But before the engineer comes I want to understand how he will install the TV cable. My router is upstairs, and the cable is pre-installed when my new build house was constructed. Therefore the Virgin white box is upstairs in the back room with cables run through the walls.

My main TV where the new V6 box needs to be located is downstairs in the front room - what will the engineer have to do? There is a grey Virgin box/upstairs near my front door where I think the cables enter the house...

Cheers,

Dan

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 4 of 6 (289 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by dans1982
‎21-04-2017 08:27

Re: Adding TV Package V6 Box to existing Hub - TV not in same room as Hub

The pre-virgin Omni-boxes were grey. The modern ones are brown. If you are on HFC network you should see a Siamese (bonded coaxial & phone line) cable entering the box from underground.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 6 (172 Views)

Where do the cables terminate externally?

A feed can be run from the external box & a new entry point made (if you are on the HFC part of VM's network. If you are in an FTTP area the feed will need to be run from upstairs).

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Tuning in
Message 3 of 6 (166 Views)

Thank you for your help.

The cables terminate in a grey up stand next to my front door, which then connects to a box at the top of my road. How do I tell if I am connected to the HFC or FTTP network?

Thanks again,

Dan

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 6 (290 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by dans1982
‎21-04-2017 08:27

The pre-virgin Omni-boxes were grey. The modern ones are brown. If you are on HFC network you should see a Siamese (bonded coaxial & phone line) cable entering the box from underground.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Tuning in
Message 5 of 6 (145 Views)

Hi again. 

I do indeed have a brown external box with the coax and phone cable running into it so I guess the engineer will be able to run a new cable to my preferred TV location?

I forgot to mention, I do have my phone socket (and working phone) already in place where the TV cable needs to go - does this make it any easier for the engineer?

Cheers,

Dan

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6 (124 Views)

Hopefully some more good news...?

I took off a blanket plate next to the Virgin phone socket and found this fibre cable - so I assume this is the cable required for TV and will make the engineers job next week very easy?

IMG_0327.JPG

Cheers,

Dan

0 Kudos